Sign in with
Your question

Recommendations for htpc with light gaming or wait for the ceton q

Last response: in Systems
June 22, 2012 1:46:10 AM

I am looking to build an HTPC for both my TV and light gaming. I would basically be playing games such a strategy games RUSE, sins of a solar Empire, things like that. I think the most I would need is an i5. I would like to be able to rip Blu-ray discs and use it as a DVR. I'm looking at the ceton TV tuner cards and I'm not sure if I should just wait for the ceton q and build a gaming machine separate or what. Any advice is welcome. Recommendation on specifications as well.

Thank you.
a b 4 Gaming
June 23, 2012 1:54:36 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Tecmo34
a b 4 Gaming
June 23, 2012 8:03:34 PM

In my opinion, the Ceton Q isn't going to offer you anything more that what you're already willing to build (except 6 tuners vs 4). Not to mention 1) We don't know the cost of the Q and 2) We don't know when it's going to be available (though I expect sometime this fall).

I'd say go ahead and build an HTPC with a Ceton InfiniTV4 TV Tuner card installed, but I'm not a big fan of gaming on my HTPC (I have a gaming system and a 27" 1920x1200 monitor for that).

-Wolf sends
June 24, 2012 6:40:07 AM

Wolfshadw said:
In my opinion, the Ceton Q isn't going to offer you anything more that what you're already willing to build (except 6 tuners vs 4). Not to mention 1) We don't know the cost of the Q and 2) We don't know when it's going to be available (though I expect sometime this fall).

I'd say go ahead and build an HTPC with a Ceton InfiniTV4 TV Tuner card installed, but I'm not a big fan of gaming on my HTPC (I have a gaming system and a 27" 1920x1200 monitor for that).

-Wolf sends

Yeah... i have a 27'' imac i7 maxed out but im not sure how it will work with games that are meant for windows. i guess i would have to try a dual boot option and see. any thoughts on setups and such for any and all RTS games (R.U.S.E, Starcraft 2, sins of a solar empire?

any recommendations for hardware for htpcs that i could dvr 4 shows with and rip blu ray and dvds with? and if i had to do games with it in case my mac didnt work the way i wanted it to for my rts games.

i am thinking it will be best to do the htpc compared to the ceton q. plus i dont want to wait lol. please recommendations on hardware is welcome.
cases, bluray drives for ripping and burning, video cards, ram, processor and motherboards for around $500 if possible. i already have a copy of windows to install.
thanks for the advice so far.

cases i am considering

!