Mouse hover information missing

February 18, 2005 10:09:06 AM

Not sure if I'm in the right place for this question, but here it is. I ahve
Windows XP. When I hover the mouse over a file on my local hard drive I see
title, subject, comments, etc. When I hover the mouse over the same file in
a network folder I see the type of file and its size, but nothing else.
Whether I have full permission to the network folder or some lesser level of
access makes no difference.
Is this a feature, a bug, or a setting? Can it be changed? If it cannot, I
would appreciate knowing that so that I can stop trying to make it work as it
does on a Windows 2000 machine. It would not be the first time that
Microsoft eliminated functionality when going from one version to another, so
it would not surprise me if a feature that has been around for years is
suddenly gone, but I keep hoping there is a setting somewhere than can
restore it.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 11:56:04 PM

ToolTips do not display complete information about files that are located on
a network share:
http://www.winxptutor.com/quicktip.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"BruceM" <BruceM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if I'm in the right place for this question, but here it is. I
> ahve
> Windows XP. When I hover the mouse over a file on my local hard drive I
> see
> title, subject, comments, etc. When I hover the mouse over the same file
> in
> a network folder I see the type of file and its size, but nothing else.
> Whether I have full permission to the network folder or some lesser level
> of
> access makes no difference.
> Is this a feature, a bug, or a setting? Can it be changed? If it cannot,
> would appreciate knowing that so that I can stop trying to make it work as
> it
> does on a Windows 2000 machine. It would not be the first time that
> Microsoft eliminated functionality when going from one version to another,
> so
> it would not surprise me if a feature that has been around for years is
> suddenly gone, but I keep hoping there is a setting somewhere than can
> restore it.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 11:56:05 PM

Thanks. So its a bug. I have XP Professional and SP2, but the problem
continues. Why am I not surprised? I will end up editing the registry. No
big deal. I appreciate your prompt response.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> ToolTips do not display complete information about files that are located on
> a network share:
> http://www.winxptutor.com/quicktip.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "BruceM" <BruceM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Not sure if I'm in the right place for this question, but here it is. I
> > ahve
> > Windows XP. When I hover the mouse over a file on my local hard drive I
> > see
> > title, subject, comments, etc. When I hover the mouse over the same file
> > in
> > a network folder I see the type of file and its size, but nothing else.
> > Whether I have full permission to the network folder or some lesser level
> > of
> > access makes no difference.
> > Is this a feature, a bug, or a setting? Can it be changed? If it cannot,
> > would appreciate knowing that so that I can stop trying to make it work as
> > it
> > does on a Windows 2000 machine. It would not be the first time that
> > Microsoft eliminated functionality when going from one version to another,
> > so
> > it would not surprise me if a feature that has been around for years is
> > suddenly gone, but I keep hoping there is a setting somewhere than can
> > restore it.

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 2:35:50 PM

David,
I don't understand what the anger is about.

I have the same problem. Well actually it is my wife who has the problem -
she accesses files on her laptop, which is networked to my desktop, and
doesn't see all the info. that I see for the same files on the desktop.

I thought BruceM's response was reasonable. And I am surprised at yours,
David. You have helped me before without this anger. (It related to altering
Registry keys). When you say "Those of us who are smart knew what was
happening." it implies that some of us don't, i.e. we who are not so smart.
I guess I have to rank myself as one of those because I didn't know the
reason for it. My wife asked why, and I couldn't answer.

BTW, KB 830411 basically says to install SP2, but it is installed on both my
machine and my wife's.

What is the reference to Registry keys about? What are these entries that
were not put in for fun? If they are the tips that don't come up with a
remote file, how does one access them? If I could alter a Registry key (or
keys) so the all the info. came up, I would . But this correspondence
doesn't say which one and what value.

David, I hope you can respond to this moron with some helpful information,
or BruceM, since you wrote "I will end up editing the registry. No big
deal", perhaps you can advise me what Registry edits need to be made

With hope and not in anger,
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.