Sign in with
Your question

I7 vs. i5

Last response: in CPUs
October 28, 2012 2:08:40 PM

My friend recently asked if it was worth getting an i7 over an i5 as we are both making PC's
I said i was going to use the i5-3570k as i am going to game and do other things, his pc will be mostly for streaming, gaming and editing, so i said the i7 would be better for him (as he would take advantage of hyper threading) but for gaming the i5
Then his friend comes along and starts a fight with me, shouting about how a i7 kicks the i5s ass in every way and that i am a ''pre tween-nerd talking out his ass'' (Naturally i took offence to this)
i also heard the new i7s are un-optimized and not worth the money (running hotter and such)
Now im wondering - are i7's as bad as i think (over priced i5's with HT) or are they actually better

I know this seams like im just looking for an argument settler but im 16, so dont know to much about CPU's and want to know if i should stop listening to articles and just realize im not actually as good with computers as i thought.

TL;DR - i7 vs i5 - for editing, and gaming, and other tasks

Thanks

More about : question

a c 850 à CPUs
October 28, 2012 2:20:35 PM

For editing the I7 is the right choice for gaming it is a waste over the I5 since there the extra thread capability of the I7 is not used.
October 28, 2012 2:34:45 PM

+1

rolli59 couldn't have said it any better.

The only difference between the i5-3570K and an i7-3770K is (besides the i7 being $100 more) the i7 is clocked 100mhz faster stock (moot point once you OC), has 2mb more L3 cache and has Hyper Threading (which isn't useful for games).

Gaming: i5-3570K
Editing & Rendering: i7-3770K
Everyday use: i5-3570K (save the money and upgrade another component or just save the money)
Related resources
October 28, 2012 2:51:59 PM

This is my proposed system

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/user/Fuzzybuddy/saved/

I just didnt like the way this guy (according to my friend he owns a business was 100% sure the i7 was better no matter what and i didnt exactly know if i should believe him over myself and what ive taught myself
October 28, 2012 3:00:55 PM

thefuzzybuddy said:
This is my proposed system

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/user/Fuzzybuddy/saved/

I just didnt like the way this guy (according to my friend he owns a business was 100% sure the i7 was better no matter what and i didnt exactly know if i should believe him over myself and what ive taught myself

Would you mind if we critiqued your build? Made some modifications? Got you the best build for your money? What is your maximum budget for the build?
October 28, 2012 3:11:39 PM

No i wouldnt mind at all

The budget? well im 16 and Irish, which means limited jobs, not much money, the system is at 1100 right now so anything less would be appreciated

I know the RAM is 1866 so i could get cheaper 1600mhz since i wont notice a diffrence

But no, by all means critique away, you know more then I, im sure

!