Dell Latitude d630 Graphics Card (NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M) Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technology That Lasts

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I recently purchased a used Dell Latitude d630 from eBay. After about 10 minutes of use, the screen started flashing black periodically for about 1 to 2 seconds until, finally, the graphics being displayed on the screen became messed up and the computer froze. Upon restart, it worked fine for a matter of time until the same thing happened. The time that it takes for this to happen varies.

Although the seller claims it came with an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135m graphics card, I have found no evidence of this being so. When I went to install a graphics card driver from NVIDIA for this GPU, it said that it could not find any compatible hardware for the driver. I tried to do an automatic scan for any NVIDIA devices via their website, but the results come up with no NVIDIA devices being found. When I try to install the drivers from the Dell website, it says that the operating system is not compatible even though it clearly is (Windows 7 Professional 32-bit). Below is a list of the computer's specifications:

Dell Latitude d630 Laptop Computer
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2GHz Processor
320gb Hard Drive
6gb of RAM
Windows 7 Professional 32-bit OS

The only change I have made to the computer since I ran into this problem was replace the network card (it was very weak and had a hard time trying to pick up signals). That should not have had any effect on the issue I am experiencing and, if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure that the problem started to occur before I replaced the network card.

If you have any solutions to this problem or any method checking to ensure that I have the graphics card I should have, please let me know. Thanks!

Solution
The latest nvidia drivers, which are technically compatible, will not install on older cards because Nvidia removed them from .inf files. You can try going to laptopvideo2go.com, they have modified .inf files that regains support for those older cards. Also, what are your GPU temps? Have you tried an external monitor?

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
The latest nvidia drivers, which are technically compatible, will not install on older cards because Nvidia removed them from .inf files. You can try going to laptopvideo2go.com, they have modified .inf files that regains support for those older cards. Also, what are your GPU temps? Have you tried an external monitor?

Solution

Technology That Lasts

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable downloading drivers from websites which are not from the manufacturer. Speaking of which, I just noticed that my computer does not have an anti-virus program installed like the person who sold it to me claimed it had. Gotta download that...

Why would NVIDIA get rid of the drivers that are compatible with their computers and replace them with ones that are not?

All of my computer temperatures are normal. I have not tried an external monitor, but exactly what would I be looking for? Obviously, I don't want to have to use an external monitor all the time :/.

Technology That Lasts

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
The computer has been running for a number of hours now, and I have not encountered the described problem. It seems as though it has just fixed itself over time. How odd. I will inform in a couple days if the problem is actually resolved or if it reappears.

Status
Not open for further replies.