Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I5-3570k vs i5-2500k

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 28, 2012 3:08:16 PM

I need help picking a new processor. as of right now i am using a fx-4100 @ 4.2Ghz and it can not record worth ***. I will be overclocking my processor to around 4ghz on the i5, but i do not know which processor to buy. I am going to be using it for game capturing and livestreaming. Thanks :) 

More about : 3570k 2500k

a b à CPUs
October 28, 2012 3:13:42 PM

Go for the i5-2500k, for the price difference it wins in terms of performance/dollars. You can also overclock it to higher frequencies than the i5-3570k which can close the small gap of performance difference. If you do overclock to 4ghz make sure you buy a good CPU cooler, if your budget is tight I guess you can go for the Hyper 212 (almost a standard now, I think hyper 212 has appeared over a 1000 times on the forums :p ) or if money is not a factor go for the Noctua DH-14 as one of your coolers. The DH-14 is one of the best air coolers, there may be a few better such as a phanteks one but I just can't remember the model number. I may come back to let you know the model if it does click in my head.

- Socialfox :) 
October 28, 2012 3:16:21 PM

Thanks socialfox, i just needed to know what one would be better for me, price is a budget considering im only 15 with a part time job :p  i will be going with the i5-2500k, and the hyper 212 with 2 really good airflow fans, could you point me to 2 good fans that are relatively quiet? Thanks :) 


socialfox said:
Go for the i5-2500k, for the price difference it wins in terms of performance/dollars. You can also overclock it to higher frequencies than the i5-3570k which can close the small gap of performance difference. If you do overclock to 4ghz make sure you buy a good CPU cooler, if your budget is tight I guess you can go for the Hyper 212 (almost a standard now, I think hyper 212 has appeared over a 1000 times on the forums :p ) or if money is not a factor go for the Noctua DH-14 as one of your coolers. The DH-14 is one of the best air coolers, there may be a few better such as a phanteks one but I just can't remember the model number. I may come back to let you know the model if it does click in my head.

- Socialfox :) 

Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2012 3:24:32 PM

Haha, nice to see there are people just like me on the forums with the same problems, I'm 16 if you were wondering. Anyways I would say the Cooler Master Blade Master would be a nice addition to the Hyper 212. It would be beneficial if you got two of them and installed them in the Push-Pull configuration. So one would be like an intake and the other side would be an exhaust.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Then again, I know that money is not the same to us all so if that is a bit pricey then go for these fans, they are a bit louder but they move a heap load of air (I have two of these as a case fan):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Edit: Are you in the US or in Canada, you would want to change the domain extension from .com to .ca if you want to view newegg from canada with accurate prices.
October 28, 2012 4:06:57 PM

Sorry for taking so long to reply, and im in canada. there are fans with higher CFM, are those fans better?
October 28, 2012 4:08:18 PM

yea for the cheaper one, i think the difference in between them and for your doing. you'll probably wont even notice
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2012 4:12:58 PM

So you are in Canada? Same as me, is there a Canada Computers around your area (mostly in Ontario). They offer fans at good prices and even keep an online stock referring to the each store's stock. These Silenx fans are awesome and are really quiet, I also have these on a Silenx Heatsink:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

Also if price is still a problem, there is an even better situation for you, the same Rosewill fans have a discount on the Canadian part of the website, however there is shipping but it will combine for both fans.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

Also this is the website of Canada Computers, if you live around the GTA then this is for you:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/
October 28, 2012 4:13:28 PM

The 2550k is £6 cheaper than the 3750k on amazon.co.uk so that should or could change your views
October 28, 2012 4:22:15 PM

U should get the 3570k, the performance is the same, 4.5 ivy = 4.7 sandy bridge,
the advantage is pcie 3.0 support, it will be use in 1 year time,

The price dif is less, so get the new architecture
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2012 4:27:32 PM

Absolutely Yes! However I think if your computer is nearby your ears are going to hurt or ring, that is really loud! It is like having a conversation forever at sounds like a Vacuum cleaner. Here is a DBA sound pressure chart:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOfSoundPressureLevels...

Edit: Looked at some of the review and some people claim the DBA is around 80!
a c 184 à CPUs
October 28, 2012 4:31:38 PM

I'm 14! :D 

First, CFM isn't everything to the fan you want to purchase. You want a fan that features good static pressure, so you can push air through the fins of the HS/F. This logic also applies to radiators, but is slightly different. (#FPI/Thickness of rad).


Push pull on the 212+/EVO only makes around 1-3C AT MOST. It really doesn't do anything for it.
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2012 4:37:26 PM

amuffin said:
I'm 14! :D 

First, CFM isn't everything to the fan you want to purchase. You want a fan that features good static pressure, so you can push air through the fins of the HS/F. This logic also applies to radiators, but is slightly different. (#FPI/Thickness of rad).


Push pull on the 212+/EVO only makes around 1-3C AT MOST. It really doesn't do anything for it.


Wow :o  I thought of you being older but your even younger. Mind if I ask what age you started to get in to computers as a hobby? That is real impressive, you are one of the top forum contributors and your 14! You sir are a role model! :sol: 

Edit: Anyways apart from that, Shainesk there are also a variety of factors that effect temperatures. If you want cooler operations make sure the room itself is cool also you should have positive pressure in your case with good airflow direction. It is also true about the static pressure but I used to believe that applied to radiators mostly. Anyways the fans I linked you to have decent static air pressure for their price.
October 28, 2012 4:56:31 PM

I will most likely go with the first set of fans you linked me, i would rather have blue fans but ohwell :( 
a c 184 à CPUs
October 28, 2012 5:04:38 PM

2 fans won't make a difference on the 212 EVO........

Get 1 Aerocool Shark 120mm Blue and be done....
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2012 5:05:19 PM

Alritey, anyways if you have any other questions just send me a private message if you can't wait for replies in a thread. I am usually online from 3-5 hours scattered throughout the day.
a c 184 à CPUs
October 28, 2012 5:08:32 PM

For game capturing, this really depends on drive speed.

What is your recording configuration?

As for live streaming, this also depends on your internet connection...
a c 184 à CPUs
October 28, 2012 5:09:10 PM

socialfox said:
Wow :o  I thought of you being older but your even younger. Mind if I ask what age you started to get in to computers as a hobby? That is real impressive, you are one of the top forum contributors and your 14! You sir are a role model! :sol: 

A little over a year. ;) 
!