CPU Cooler for an FX-55 San Diego

rut

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004
I am about to purchase an FX-55 San Diego and am looking for a high quality cooler with a not too loud noise level. Suggestions? Also, feel free to throw in a site or two that give reviews on CPU Coolers. Thanks in advance.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
the stock cooler? i got one sitting in front of me and its pretty damn quiet.
Nothing wrong with it if you are running at standard speeds. And you didnt say if you were overclocking or not!

If you plan on overclocking the bejebus out of it, then by all means get a better cooler.

For quietness & performance you cant do much better than the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. Just check that it fits.
Also many of the other heatpipe equipped coolers have similar levels of performance.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Well i'm assuming your only going to be running air between your cascade runs :wink: so.....
I would go with the stock cooler or the artic freezer 64 HSF. It is good and cheap.

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Well, there are a couple of options for you.

They are:
SI-120,
and the (big) Typhoon.

You best bet would be the SI-120 as it offers as good as cooling as the others, but is easier to install. You would also need a fan for the SI-120 so choose a low noise and high CFM fan, which are pretty easy to find since the SI-120 uses a 120mm fan which are generally always quite enough and move plenty of air.
Even on a lower fan setting the SI-120 would still offer really good cooling.

Just make sure to use some Artic Silver 5 too. The temps will magically drop as it gets broken in.

BTW Thermalright make the SI-120. Zalman the 9500, and TT the (BIG) Typhoon.

-dragonx