Is AMD OverDrive GPU Overclock safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darksalvatore

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
if i just use AMD OverDrive to overclock my gpu with it's max settings but don't touch voltages ... it will be safe and will cause zero damage to GPU ? and won't reduce his lifespan ?

great_dane

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
You will have to provide more information for us to be helpful.

In no specific order:

Your GPU:

PSU:

MOBO:

CASE:

Air or Watercooling

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
It'll be fine. Just make sure it doesn't get too hot. It MAY decrease lifespan, but the time to upgrade will come before it poops out on you. Just try a mild overclock, that's what I do.

Nobody can guarantee that for you, what I can do is tell you what I know and you can make a decision partially based on that and what others post.

The GPU part of overdrive has a button labelled Auto tune.
If you use this you screen will go red/yellow/green stripes as far as I remember it. After about 5 mins it will have tested and settled on settings it has decided are optimum for your card.
These settings are usually well below what the actual top end best/fastest over clock your card is capable off.

So to me this would represent the best chance of achieving what it is you are looking for.

Mactronix :)

As with any overclocking, it's a risk, but the Overdrive limits are quite low, so you're quite safe as long as:
Do n't touch the voltages, even small increases can vield large temperature increases.
Keep an eye on temperatures, I like GPU-Z for this, it's free, does not need an install and records about 5 minuets of activity if it's left running in the background.
Stress test the overclock: Many like to use Furmark as a stress tester but Unigine Heaven or a later version of 3d Mark are also very stressful.
It's generally accepted that 80C is fairly hot and anything over 85 is pushing things a little too much!
You can set a manual fan speed in the Overdrive window, just do n't forget to click 'accept' to make the change stick!
Or you can just use the 'Autotune' feature, it seems to take forever, though, just watching those coloured lines.

absxiith

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
And does accepting the eula before entering amd overdrive void the warranty?I was advised to manually change the fan speed of my Sapphire HD 6850 to lower its temps but am faced with the eula.Just asking. :)

darksalvatore

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
sure i will monitor temps .. no problem with that .. so just don't oc gpu with overdrive at max settings ya ? try medium ?

mobo is asus p6t se .... power supply is corsair 850 wat .. case is standard ...

ondra

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
GPU OverDrive is not as safe as it might seem to be. I just ran it on my old graphics card - ATI Radeon HD 4870, the computer restarted and did not wake up anymore. It gives long beep sounds which, I figured out from other forums, means that the GPU has some problems. The fan of the card keeps on changing the pace. Slower, faster, slower, faster and the BIOS keeps on telling me that the GPU has problems. When I removed the GPU from computer and wanted to use the built-in graphics, the BIOS gave one long and two short beeps which again means some problem with the graphics. In case anyone has an idea what the hell could have gone wrong, please let me know, Thx in advance.

test87

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

you can reset your bios even if you don't can open it.
(sorry for my english!)

in the users manual from your motherboard you have to look "Jumpers" or something like this...

[just take ist from 2 pins and took it on other 2 pins, that will short them and clear CMOS data... than take him back to the first 2 pins (just for example)]

the motherboard uses CMOS RAM to store the basic hardware information (such as BIOS data, etc...). Clear CMOS data is the fast way to go back to the factory default BIOS Settings...

Whit Factory BIOS Settings, should your old "onboard" graphic work and than, if you can start your system, you can change and test what ever you want... ;-)

I think maybe the onboard graphic is Disabled or something like this in your bios (is that possible?!?), and now you can not get into your bios to change the settings, because the graphic works not right... what ever, reset the bios helped me a many times, by different hardware and "setting" failures.

wish U Luck!!! Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.