Did I fry my RAM?

Greetings all!
Captain Newbie here! I decided to upgrade my memory to 256 mb of DDR yesterday. I took the new ram out of it's antistatic bag and as I was reaching in my case to install it, I carelessly brushed it against my cotton shirt. I heard a distict noise like a spark (popping sound) :( Does this mean the memory is zapped for good or do I still have any hope? I was called away before I could finish installing all the components and try the new ram - But I can't wait any longer to find out. This has been drivin me crazy all day as it is expensive PC2400 DDR ram!
Thanks in advance!
SHODAN
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. It's safe to install the memory and see what happens.
    Sometimes it takes a couple weeks (don't remember exactly what was in A+ test, ~10 days?) to discover that electrostatic discharge did the damage.
  2. fit it, if it fails send it back from whence it came (forgetting of course to mention the shirt...........)


    Next time you wave - use all your fingers
  3. I wouldn't have guessed that cotton would generate static. Maybe the noise was because you snagged a thread with a sharp edge.

    BTW: Does anyone know if the seller could determine if the memory had been damaged by static electricity?

    I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?
  4. [Quote: <b> Does anyone know if the seller could determine if the memory had been damaged by static electricity? </b>

    I'm sure, no, couldn't be possible. And you're right. It sounds funny ...the shirt..
    I remember I passed a stick of DIMM to my Sys Admin after he and I had been walking through carpet covered office. That was a real spark. The memory worked OK..., not sure how it was after some period of time though.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR RAM