Voice Recognition for writing SMS etc

Last response: in Brands
June 30, 2004 9:36:01 PM

Just wondering if anyone's seen this kinda thing around before. I thought
it'd be great to be able to get ur phone to type the sms for you without
touching it... for when ur driving etc as its illegal here in australia.

Would be fantastic if someone could give me an url for one...

Cheers in advance

Niko
June 30, 2004 9:36:02 PM

that's what phone calls are for
July 1, 2004 2:40:54 AM

class!

"Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> that's what phone calls are for

July 1, 2004 9:13:54 PM

Class if you dont know the law here in australia

Not only is it illegal to write / read sms while driving, phone calls are
also illegal as they lead to accidents.

I wouldn't ask a question like that if I didnt have a decent reason to.

"JJ" <sword76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> class!
>
> "Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > that's what phone calls are for

July 1, 2004 9:13:55 PM

Even with a hands-free or car-kit?

Niko Holm wrote:

> Class if you dont know the law here in australia
>
> Not only is it illegal to write / read sms while driving, phone calls are
> also illegal as they lead to accidents.
>
> I wouldn't ask a question like that if I didnt have a decent reason to.
>
> "JJ" <sword76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>class!
>>
>>"Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>that's what phone calls are for

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 9:13:55 PM

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:13:54 +0800, "Niko Holm"
<vantastic@arach.net.au> wrote:

>Not only is it illegal to write / read sms while driving, phone calls are
>also illegal as they lead to accidents.
>
>I wouldn't ask a question like that if I didnt have a decent reason to.

This means that you think that using a phone for talking with another
human is illegal but i isn't illegal talking into the phone to write a
SMS? What's the difference?

"No, policeofficer, I wasn't doing a phonecall. I was just dictating a
SMS! Believe me!"
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 1:28:28 AM

Nay thats legal but I want the software for the 'cool factor' :)

"vortex" <vortex@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> Even with a hands-free or car-kit?
>

> Niko Holm wrote:
>
> > Class if you dont know the law here in australia
> >
> > Not only is it illegal to write / read sms while driving, phone calls
are
> > also illegal as they lead to accidents.
> >
> > I wouldn't ask a question like that if I didnt have a decent reason to.
> >
> > "JJ" <sword76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>class!
> >>
> >>"Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 2, 2004 1:30:01 AM

And back to my original question. IS there software that can do this? Why
should you care about what I want it for anyway? I asked a simple question
and expected a simple Yes or No answer instead I get nothing relating to it
at all, just about what purpose I want it for?

"Jens Hoerburger"
<jens@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
wrote in message news:vkt7e0haackg5k2j1lhtal3ps3gpe6qkh4@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:13:54 +0800, "Niko Holm"
> <vantastic@arach.net.au> wrote:
>
> >Not only is it illegal to write / read sms while driving, phone calls are
> >also illegal as they lead to accidents.
> >
> >I wouldn't ask a question like that if I didnt have a decent reason to.
>
> This means that you think that using a phone for talking with another
> human is illegal but i isn't illegal talking into the phone to write a
> SMS? What's the difference?
>
> "No, policeofficer, I wasn't doing a phonecall. I was just dictating a
> SMS! Believe me!"

Anonymous
July 2, 2004 1:30:02 AM

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:30:01 +0800, "Niko Holm"
<vantastic@arach.net.au> wrote:

>And back to my original question. IS there software that can do this?

I don't think so. I guess that must be a feature delievered from Nokia
because it would be a big security hole if a symbian or java program
is able to get access to the "sms writing machine" of the cellular. In
all other cases a installed software would be able to write SMS
itself.

I also think that the power of the CPU isn't strong enough to do a
voice recongnation.

jens
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 1:30:03 AM

wrote in message news:jt98e05mcbbk2v3nqon20bgnj87bevjh2f@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:30:01 +0800, "Niko Holm"
> <vantastic@arach.net.au> wrote:
>
> >And back to my original question. IS there software that can do this?
>
> I don't think so. I guess that must be a feature delievered from Nokia
> because it would be a big security hole if a symbian or java program
> is able to get access to the "sms writing machine" of the cellular. In
> all other cases a installed software would be able to write SMS
> itself.
>
> I also think that the power of the CPU isn't strong enough to do a
> voice recongnation.
>
> jens

give it time though! Can't PDAs do voice recognition now?
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 1:30:04 AM

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:16:42 +0100, "meltey-chamon!"
<nosepam@nosepam.com> wrote:

>give it time though! Can't PDAs do voice recognition now?

Take a look at the software that Voice Signal Technologies has been
demonstrating. It allows dictation on a feature phone, not a PDA or
smart phone.
http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/wireless/2004/06...
--
Jim McGinnis
Anonymous

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 17:03:11 +0800, Niko Holm wrote:

> I dont want a car kit. My car is an original Ford XW GT and i've spent a lot
> of money and time on it making it look nice and factory original. I know
> theres plug and play car kits out there but for me its not worth the hassle.
> A plug and play kit is more like an Unplug and Run kit for any common thief,
> and to carry the damn kit everywhere is a nuisance.

Bluetooth headset.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 4:05:46 PM

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:13:54 +0800, Niko Holm wrote:

> Class if you dont know the law here in australia
>
> Not only is it illegal to write / read sms while driving, phone calls are
> also illegal as they lead to accidents.

IMO the problem with voice recognition transcribing, is that it's often
not very reliable.

1) It needs ideal *quiet* conditions to work properly, something a car
speeding down the motorway/highway/interstate/autobahn is NOT going to
provide.

2) A headset with boom-mic is required for it to work at it's best.

3) You need to be constantly checking the screen to make sure what you've
dictated is transcribed correctly. Something I would NOT like to be doing
while at the wheel of a moving vehicle.

> I wouldn't ask a question like that if I didnt have a decent reason to.

Can't sending a text wait until you've stopped somewhere ?

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 5:39:08 PM

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:06:44 +0200, Jens Hoerburger wrote:

> I also think that the power of the CPU isn't strong enough to do a
> voice recongnation.

It's also a problem of memory.

Speech recognition software like 'Dragon Naturally Speaking', needs
copious amounts of memory(read couple of hundred megabytes), for the
dictionary/vocabulary. Something mobile phones tend to lack.

So for the moment, speech recognition on phones is going to be limited
to voice dialing.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 2:51:09 AM

Niko Holm wrote:

> I dont want a car kit. My car is an original Ford XW GT and i've spent a lot
> of money and time on it making it look nice and factory original. I know
> theres plug and play car kits out there but for me its not worth the hassle.
> A plug and play kit is more like an Unplug and Run kit for any common thief,
> and to carry the damn kit everywhere is a nuisance.

How about a blue tooth car kit, you could completely hide it in your car
and no one would ever see it.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 2:51:10 AM

Really? You ripper! I didnt know that... will look into that for sure :)
thanks mate!

!