Sign in with
Your question

Banding with Radeon HD 7970 and Dell U2412M

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 29, 2012 7:24:35 PM

Hi all.

I just built my first system in 15 years, and I splurged a little and picked up an AMD Radeon HD 7970 paired with a Dell U2412M monitor. After installing the latest Catalyst drives from AMD's website, I'm noticing banding when I log into Windows; i.e., there is banding when the system fades to black and then back to the desktop when logging into Windows.

I'm pretty sure the monitor is not the culprit as I used this monitor previously with a Deall Latitude e6410, and I didn't notice the banding when logging into Windows; the fading to black and back to the desktop was a smooth transition there.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I'm new to AMD GPUs, so I don't know the various Catalyst settings that could be affecting the problem.

Thanks for any direction.
MR

PS. Not sure if this matters, but my MB is an ASUS P8Z68-v Pro/Gen3, and I did not install any of the display drivers on the board; the only display driver I installed was the Catalyst. That said, my Windows Device Manager does not report that I'm missing any display drivers.
PPS. One more thing to note. I picked up a new DVI-D (Dual Link) cable for the new system -- it's 10 feet long. It's a high quality cable from Tripp-Lite. This is the first time I've used this cable, so I wanted to throw that out there. The display itself looks fine -- it's the fading-to-black where the banding shows up.
April 29, 2012 7:35:10 PM

Not sure that there is a problem if the only time you see the banding is in fading to black and then loging into Windows. There are no other times when you see it ? There is no interference with anything , games , Windows programs?
m
l
April 29, 2012 7:44:09 PM

EmuBite said:
I'm noticing banding when I log into Windows; i.e., there is banding when the system fades to black and then back to the desktop when logging into Windows.

Can you screenshot it?
m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2012 7:55:05 PM

It could be the cable. Try using the cable on a different monitor (borrow one if you have to) and see if it does it. If it doesn't, I'd pin it on the monitor, and if that's the case I'd RMA that sucker right away.
m
l
April 29, 2012 7:58:48 PM

I haven't had a chance to play any games yet -- just got Windows 7 installed -- so I don't know if the problem exists with other things as well. The weird thing is that my Latitude e6410 (which is driven by an NVIDIA NVM 3100M) didn't have this problem with this monitor -- it smoothly faded in and out.

I can't screenshot this since Windows isn't fully loaded when it happens. I've seen similar banding (not really color banding, but a herky-jerky fade in and out of black, if that makes sense) when I didn't have display drivers installed. In this case, though, I have the Catalyst drivers installed.

I might try picking up a Displayport > mini-Displayport cable and see if that makes a difference.
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:04:52 PM

nbelote said:
It could be the cable. Try using the cable on a different monitor (borrow one if you have to) and see if it does it. If it doesn't, I'd pin it on the monitor, and if that's the case I'd RMA that sucker right away.

It's not the monitor because it works fine with a different PC.

As the others have asked, does it only happen when you are logging in?
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:13:03 PM

I'll have to see if it's a problem with other applications. I just ruled out the DVI-D cable -- the cable I used previously that did not show this problem had the same issue with my new setup. I also re-tested the monitor using my Latitude, and again I saw the smooth fade in/out during Windows login, so it doesn't look to be the monitor as well. That leaves the card itself, or maybe a setting I'm missing.

I'll play with it a bit more and see if I'm seeing problems in other areas. The drivers should be installed correctly -- WEI gives me a score of 7.9.
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:21:17 PM

Can anyone suggest a good program or demo to test out the graphics card? Specifically, I'm looking for ones that fade to black to see if I can reproduce my problem.
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:41:12 PM

I found something that was HD (1080p) with a lot of fade ins/outs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WctoZOTR4o

However, I don't see the banding problem with this video. I also hooked another monitor I had up to the card, and it's showing the same thing when fading in/out during Windows login, so I'm pretty sure it's the card and not the monitor at this point.

I guess this is something I can live with since it doesn't appear to affect movies via Flash (haven't tested games yet). I'm just stumped why this card is having this problem.

Has anyone else run into this?
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:42:02 PM

You can stress test the GPU with Furmark.
m
l
!