Atheros ar5007 802 11 b/g wifi adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

tparob

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Pyree, thanks for your response unfortunately all I can do is access the router but not the internet. I upgraded my wireless router to a Netgear N router for the added security and my laptop can see it and connect unfortunately I cannot get to the internet. I contacted compaq to see if there was an internal adapter I could switch to and they tell me there is not. Its disappointing that computer manufacturers do this sort of thing knowing full well their product is obsolete the day they put it on the market. One would think they would have a new wireless card that would be compatible with the latest technology. Instead they kept trying to sell me a $99 a year tech support deal. If anyone hears of a replacement wireless card I would be interested to hear how it works

If you can access your router, then there is no problem on the wifi part. The connection between your laptop and the router is fine, you don't have to worry about that. The only problem is the config of the internet service or a problem with the internet connection it self or a problem with the modem or a combination of any or all of the above. May I ask what type of internet connection are you using (Adsl, cable, wimax, 3g etc)?

tparob

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

Here is where I demonstrate how little I know about this stuff..........
The internet service is cable. The setup is as follows, the cable runs to the modem which runs to the new N router. All of the computers in the house run wireless and the only one that cannot connect is the laptop with the Aterhos adapter running Windows Vista. All the other computers in the house have Windows 7. There are also 2 smart phones in the house that are able to connect to the router.

On the laptop that does not work it sees the router and says its connected however I am unable to get to the internet. When I open the "network and sharing center is shows my computer on the left, the router in the middle and the internet on the right however there is big red X between the router and the internet symbol.

Hope this makes sense and again, thank for your assistance

right click the wifi icon on the lower right corner, open network and sharing center, select change adapter settings, right click on you wifi adapter and go properties, highlight "internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", click properties and make sure IP and DNS is automatic, click advance and DHCP Enabled and default gateway left empty.

tparob

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Pyree,

I right click on the wifi icon and open network and sharing center, however, I do not see an option to "change adapter settings". On the left hand side of the window that opens my options are
view computers and devices
conncect to a network
manager wireless networks
set up a connection or network
manage network connections
diagnose and repair

tparob

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

.Pyree,

I right click on the wifi icon and open network and sharing center, however, I do not see an option to "change adapter settings". On the left hand side of the window that opens my options are
view computers and devices
conncect to a network
manager wireless networks
set up a connection or network
manage network connections
diagnose and repair

tparob

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

Thanks for getting back to me, I found what you asked me to find. I verified IP and DNS were set to automatic and clicked the advanced tab taking me to Advanced TCP/IP settings. Under IP addresses it reads DHCP Enabled and in the Default gateways: is says 192.168.1.1 are those the two you want empty? if so how do I do that?

Rob

lilmanrunner35

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
i have an hp pavillon dv600 with the atheros wifi adapter. i have done everything u have said in this whole thread an still nothing works. i thought i was my wireless card but it will connect to my wifi hotspot but it wont connect to my netgear wnr2000 v3. my xbox connects with ethernet. my galaxy player 5.0 connects wireless an so do the other 2 laptops. when i shut off my wps so there is no pass code to connect to my network it connects but if i have to put in a passphrase it only connects local

rmccoy

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
There is a somewhat known problem with Atheros and Ralink wireless cards. Their mac address are outside the range of some routers. Not sure if this is the case with yours, but I've had to do a bit of mac spoofing on them to make them work. If you can connect your device to the router with an ethernet cord and get connection but get only local on wireless that may be the case. It's fixable, unfortunately the way I do it I can't give out but I'm sure there should be some mac spoofing programs out there. All it does is give your wireless card a similar mac address as your wired card. I'll look around for one you can use.

dockster

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Solution

robroyc

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.