Canon350d/XT purchase advice

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 1, 2005 1:57:43 PM

Hi,
I have permission from the SO to upgrade from my much loved Oly 4000 to
the Canon 350D/XT. I would like advice particularly re lenses – I have
looked around at reviews and websites and am more than a little confused
by the huge variety available!
1. I have a total budget of around £1,200 (around $2100 US)
2. The camera body is available in UK for around £555 with the kit lens
(18-55) for about £40 more. Is the kit lens so bad that it is not worth
going for it?
3. My needs vary from close-up/macro to long distance nature. Mostly
are nature/landscapes/portraits. Given my budget, what lenses would you
suggest(I could omit macro to start)
4. Is the 1gb CF card the best buy?
5. Should I buy an extra battery – I am used to carrying around several
sets of spare AAs for the Oly?
6. Are there retailers in the UK that you would recommend/avoid at all
costs?
7. Any other advice?

Many thanks

Gordon
gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:57:44 PM

I recently purchased the 20D and it came with the kit lens (18-55)
which I beleive is the same one they ship with the 350D. I don't find
it to be a bad lens but I've heard from others that it's not the best
quality - infact, the sales girl in Jessops told me this while I was
buying it!

If you're doing nature shots, particualrly animals, I'd recommend you
get something like a 75-300mm - Canon do a very good one with image
stabalizer. the IS hikes the price, but I've had really good results
getting close to animals like deer, whilst moving around and using
handheld - the IS is well worth it for this kind of shop, and a 75-300
Canon USM + IS should set you back about 360 quid (Jessops charge 390,
so I wouldn't get it there)

the 1G card is probably the minimum you want - I've got 1G and get
about 250 shots at full (JPG) quality.

As far as retailers go.... I normally avoid Jessops but when I bought
my 20D+kit Jacobs and Jessops (opposite eachother on Oxford St, London)
both had the same deal for the same price... except Jessops had a 1G
card placed near the product in the window. Neither store offered any
memory with the package, but I convinced Jessops that their window
placement looked deceiving and they ended up throwing the 1G card in
for free - so that made it a worthwhile buy. I wouldn't buy lens's
from them though.

If you expand your budget a fraction, you could consider a 20D with
18-55 kit and a 75-300mm USM+IS lens - that whole lot (not forgetting I
got the card for free) was about £1,350 - try out both the 350D and
20D and see how they feel for you - that was the advice I got before
purchasing and I went for the latter.

Good luck!
Craig
August 1, 2005 1:57:45 PM

Good advice Craig, also you can check the quality of the lenses you intend
to buy by looking on Pbase (http://www.pbase.com) and searching for pictures
taken with specific lenses. Very often, the photographer will be the
limiting factor, but very often not, there are a LOT of pictures on pbase so
it may take a bit of time to wade through the chaff.

The kit lens will do as a starter lens, I finally bought a 24-70 f2,8 L
which is a great lens but when taking the camera on bicycle trips, I will
take my old kit lens because it weighs next to nothing.

The 75-300 f4,5-f5,6 IS is also a very nice lens, it has it's flaws the most
annoying being the slow focussing but it does the job and I got some
stunning pictures with it. For sporting events it will not be fast enough.

A 70-200 f4 L is a great lens according to reviews, I have the f2,8 variant
but it is too heavy to carry on trips. Coupled with a 1.4X teleconverter,
the range for any type of event is good (70-200 or 98-280). The Canon
teleconverter will not work on the 75-300 lens, at any rate, the autofocus
will not work either (too dark).

If you decide to get a lens by another manufacturer, make sure you have a
trial period and test, test, test... I have had a bad experience with a
Sigma lens and now I will not even try another one, the aggravation is not
worth the difference in price. ALL Canon lenses work well on Canon bodies,
with the others, it's an iffy proposition.

Do get an extra battery or the BG-E3 battery grip, a camera with a dead
battery is useless. A 1Gb card is the minimum you should get, for trips or
special events, it will be too small. It is very easy to take upwards of
500 shots in a day when something special happens.

Also be prepared to have a lot of "darkroom" time with your computer ;-)
and watch you bank acccount melt as you buy more add ons like a flash,
lenses, tripod, software, more storage, a better computer...

Jean

I started with a 300D, now with a 10D longing for a 20D (the 1Dxx are just
too big and heavy)

"Craig Dunn" <abuse@codenation.net> a écrit dans le message de
[...]

August 1, 2005 4:41:21 PM

I've had my 350D for a little over two months and although I'm
relatively inexperienced as a DSLR user, there are a couple of
recommendations I can make.

1. Batteries - Get yourself the BG-E3 battery grip for the 350D. It
doubles the battery capacity, allowing you to shoot all day without
having to worry about the battery running out, and also (in my opinion)
the extra grip makes it easier to hold the camera for both portrait and
landscape shots. There is an additional set of controls on the battery
grip which means that you don't have to rotate the camera to change key
settings in using a portrait orientation. The battery grip also
features an additional tray which can be used to load up 6 AA batteries
in case you ever run out.

2. Lens - regarding lens, I'm still learning here as well, however there
seem to be a couple of trends. Some people say to equip yourself with a
set of good quality prime lenses with a fast apperture while others
recommend a zoom lens that may not be as good across the range or as
quick as a prime lens but means you carry one lens instead of multiple
lenses.

Canon make two diffent ranges of lenses, one is the consumer grade lens,
made to a cost and offer reasonable performance for the money, the other
is the "L" series range (distinguished by a red ring around the tip of
the lens) which is the professional range and these are much more
expensive but optically much better and generally much much faster.

Lenses with IS in the name feature Image Stabilisation which allows you
to take sharp pictures without the need to use a tripod.

The EF lens range will fit both Full Frame SLR's and DSLRs with an APS-C
sized sensor. The EF-S range are desgined for DSLR's with an APS-C
sized sensor only.

I've been looking into lens myself and the following lenses seem to
offer a good balance of performance vs cost.

*Primes*
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM

*Zooms*
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

Also how much macro work will you be doing? If you want to do a lot it
would be worthwhile having a dedicated macro lens.

*Dedicated Macro*
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

3. Compact Flash - I use a 1GB flash card myself and generally find that
it's enough for me at the moment. That said I've never been away from
home for long enough to fill it completely. If you're travelling a lot
it may be worth buying a couple more CF cards, or buying some form of
portable storage card reader incorporating a 20-30GB hardrive. That way
when the card fills up you can copy it to the portable storage unit and
carry on shooting.

4. UK Retailers - Have heard good things about the following retailers
but never used them myself (at least not yet);

http://www.WaltersPhotoVideo.co.uk
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/
http://www.fotosense.co.uk/
http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/index.htm

I bought my camera from Jessops originally, although I'm not sure I'd
buy anything else from them as the two times I've been in since they've
not had any of what I wanted to purchase in stock.

Another thing you might want to think about is a Flashgun. The
Speedlite 420EX can be had for around £150 and is a good basic flashgun
that offers much greater coverage then the built in flash.

Hope that helps!

--
Regards,

JasonB

Gordon MacPherson wrote:
> Hi,
> I have permission from the SO to upgrade from my much loved Oly 4000 to
> the Canon 350D/XT. I would like advice particularly re lenses – I have
> looked around at reviews and websites and am more than a little confused
> by the huge variety available!
> 1. I have a total budget of around £1,200 (around $2100 US)
> 2. The camera body is available in UK for around £555 with the kit lens
> (18-55) for about £40 more. Is the kit lens so bad that it is not worth
> going for it?
> 3. My needs vary from close-up/macro to long distance nature. Mostly
> are nature/landscapes/portraits. Given my budget, what lenses would you
> suggest(I could omit macro to start)
> 4. Is the 1gb CF card the best buy?
> 5. Should I buy an extra battery – I am used to carrying around several
> sets of spare AAs for the Oly?
> 6. Are there retailers in the UK that you would recommend/avoid at all
> costs?
> 7. Any other advice?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Gordon
> gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 6:51:38 PM

Gordon,

> I have permission from the SO to upgrade from my much loved Oly 4000 to
> the Canon 350D/XT. I would like advice particularly re lenses – I have
> looked around at reviews and websites and am more than a little confused
> by the huge variety available!
> 1. I have a total budget of around £1,200 (around $2100 US)

When are you going to put more money into the camera? E.g. will you plan on
buying more lenses in a year? Two years? 4 months? This changes your
choices of lenses at the begining, as if you plan on putting little more
into the camera you should pick up a decent lens now, while if you plan on
investing into specific (e.g. telephoto, macro, etc.) lenses in the future,
just playing around with the kit lens is a good cheap way to handle it.

> 2. The camera body is available in UK for around £555 with the kit lens
> (18-55) for about £40 more. Is the kit lens so bad that it is not worth
> going for it?

Check out www.fredmiranda.com for all of the Canon lenses, their reviews are
pretty good. If it helps, there seems to be a correlation between price and
lens satisfaction ;)

> 3. My needs vary from close-up/macro to long distance nature. Mostly are
> nature/landscapes/portraits. Given my budget, what lenses would you
> suggest(I could omit macro to start)

I just finished my purchase last week, and here is what I bought:
- the 350 XT body, without the kit lens
- the Canon 28-135 IS lens
- a set of 1/2/4 Hoya Macro filters
- a UV filter
- a 1GB Sandisc Extreme III CF card

Total cost was around $2300 Canadian (after $300 taxes), which should be
just under your budget (just over a thousand pounds). Mind you, gear seems
to be aggressivly priced in Canada, a little moreso than the states/uk
(could have something to do with fluxuating prices).

After 300 shots or so I am pretty happy with the lens choice - it gave me
the versatility to pick up a few nature photos, portraits, and macro was
nice too. My goal is to replace it within two years with a better landscape
lens and a longer/higher quality telephoto lens. If you figure this is
similar for you, I high encourage checking into this lens. As a comparison,
it's cheaper than the EF-S 18-85 IS lens, and many seem to think the quality
is higher too.

> 4. Is the 1gb CF card the best buy?

Yes. I shot this weekend with my 256 meg card because the one I had ordered
was on back order. I took three trips to the laptop. Just get the 1 GB and
be done with it. You probably don't need to be as aggessive as I was on the
choice though - the sandisc extreme, for instance, is cheaper than the
extreme III and just not quite so fast.

> 5. Should I buy an extra battery – I am used to carrying around several
> sets of spare AAs for the Oly?

If you do pick it up after market on ebay of another vendor. Check the
forums of dpreview.com for suggestions. Non-canon batteries are often of
higher capacity and cheaper.

> 7. Any other advice?

Go into the store, play with the camera there. Ask if they have a couple of
lenses in stock for you to try out. No point guessing if you can just pop
one on and play! The retailer I used even ordered my lens in for me without
any obligation.

And dicker a bit on the price - they knocked maybe 10% off the whole package
for me. If you show your face often enough they know you'll be back, and
will want to make their time investment worth it.

Enjoy,

Chris
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 6:53:15 PM

Craig,
I thought you "chaps" talked in pounds but you used the term quid,
could you enlighten one of the rebels from this side of the pond.:-)
Paul

Craig Dunn wrote:
> I recently purchased the 20D and it came with the kit lens (18-55)
> which I beleive is the same one they ship with the 350D. I don't find
> it to be a bad lens but I've heard from others that it's not the best
> quality - infact, the sales girl in Jessops told me this while I was
> buying it!
>
> If you're doing nature shots, particualrly animals, I'd recommend you
> get something like a 75-300mm - Canon do a very good one with image
> stabalizer. the IS hikes the price, but I've had really good results
> getting close to animals like deer, whilst moving around and using
> handheld - the IS is well worth it for this kind of shop, and a 75-300
> Canon USM + IS should set you back about 360 quid (Jessops charge 390,
> so I wouldn't get it there)
>
> the 1G card is probably the minimum you want - I've got 1G and get
> about 250 shots at full (JPG) quality.
>
> As far as retailers go.... I normally avoid Jessops but when I bought
> my 20D+kit Jacobs and Jessops (opposite eachother on Oxford St, London)
> both had the same deal for the same price... except Jessops had a 1G
> card placed near the product in the window. Neither store offered any
> memory with the package, but I convinced Jessops that their window
> placement looked deceiving and they ended up throwing the 1G card in
> for free - so that made it a worthwhile buy. I wouldn't buy lens's
> from them though.
>
> If you expand your budget a fraction, you could consider a 20D with
> 18-55 kit and a 75-300mm USM+IS lens - that whole lot (not forgetting I
> got the card for free) was about £1,350 - try out both the 350D and
> 20D and see how they feel for you - that was the advice I got before
> purchasing and I went for the latter.
>
> Good luck!
> Craig

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 9:27:34 PM

"Gordon MacPherson" <gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:D cko22$sae$1@news.ox.ac.uk...
> Hi,
> I have permission from the SO to upgrade from my much loved Oly 4000 to
> the Canon 350D/XT. I would like advice particularly re lenses – I have
> looked around at reviews and websites and am more than a little confused
> by the huge variety available!
> 1. I have a total budget of around £1,200 (around $2100 US)
> 2. The camera body is available in UK for around £555 with the kit lens
> (18-55) for about £40 more. Is the kit lens so bad that it is not worth
> going for it?
> 3. My needs vary from close-up/macro to long distance nature. Mostly are
> nature/landscapes/portraits. Given my budget, what lenses would you
> suggest(I could omit macro to start)
> 4. Is the 1gb CF card the best buy?
> 5. Should I buy an extra battery – I am used to carrying around several
> sets of spare AAs for the Oly?
> 6. Are there retailers in the UK that you would recommend/avoid at all
> costs?
> 7. Any other advice?

I bought my 350D in the spring of this year - with the kit lens. The kit
lens needs to be stopped down to F8 to get really sharp pictures but it is
so cheap (also, light and small) it's worth haveing. I bought an EF 28-105
USM for £189 and was reasonably pleased with it - but it is a bit slow,
particularly as you have to stop it down to get decent sharpness.

Then I bought a 70 - 200 f2.8 L series lens; it is big and expensive but the
quality is stunning. Coupled with a 1.4 times converter I have the
equivalent of 450mm telephoto lens on a 35mm film camera - at f4. The L
series lens can be used at full apeture and gives near perfect results.

I went on to buy the 24-70 f2.8 L lens. Again big and costly - but
incredible results.

I also have a 50mm f1.4. It's good at f2 but not so good at f1.4. What it
does allow me to do is use available light in quite dim conditions - and
it's small. (Don't be afraid of the 1600 ISO setting, the noise is quite
acceptable).

I don't have a spare battery and don't want the bulk of the extra battery
holder attatchment. I just spent a week on holiday and took 400 photos
without having to charge the battery (the equivalent of far more films that
I would ever have shot in a week). I use 4 CF cards totalling 1Gb. This
means I had to take the laptop on holiday to empty the cards. I shoot in RAW
so I only get about 140 shots per Gb. I could have got all 400 onto a Gb if
I had used JPG but I do like to fiddle on the computer.

Shops? I bought the camera in Jessops because they had it in stock. Bristol
cameras are cheaper but Jessop may well match price with them. I bought the
L lenses on eBay from a bloke who imports them to a small town near me, I
was able to go and look at them before paying. He is called 123fstop on
eBay.

I bought the 50mm and the 1.4x extender from 7 Day Shop. They are fast and
have good prices for a lot of Canon lenses. They do the 70 - 200 f4 L lens
for only £400, this is very good value.

John
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:51:53 PM

Thanks for asking the question Gordon.
I am in the same position.
One lens that was suggested to me as an all purpose leave on the camera lens
is the new Tamron 18-200 XR f3.5-6.3 Di II.

The suggestion was to get the body only and then the above lens. I also
happen to have an old 28-105 USM lens from 35mm EOS but probably wouldn't
need it with the above lens!!

Good luck with your final decision.

Joel
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:49:47 AM

You ever use the term 20 bucks? Same idea.

"Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@nospamcomcast.net> wrote in message
news:D NKdnXBJdO4F8nPfRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
> Craig,
> I thought you "chaps" talked in pounds but you used the term quid, could
> you enlighten one of the rebels from this side of the pond.:-)
> Paul
>

> Craig Dunn wrote:
>> I recently purchased the 20D and it came with the kit lens (18-55)
>> which I beleive is the same one they ship with the 350D. I don't find
>> it to be a bad lens but I've heard from others that it's not the best
>> quality - infact, the sales girl in Jessops told me this while I was
>> buying it!
>>
>> If you're doing nature shots, particualrly animals, I'd recommend you
>> get something like a 75-300mm - Canon do a very good one with image
>> stabalizer. the IS hikes the price, but I've had really good results
>> getting close to animals like deer, whilst moving around and using
>> handheld - the IS is well worth it for this kind of shop, and a 75-300
>> Canon USM + IS should set you back about 360 quid (Jessops charge 390,
>> so I wouldn't get it there)
>>
>> the 1G card is probably the minimum you want - I've got 1G and get
>> about 250 shots at full (JPG) quality.
>>
>> As far as retailers go.... I normally avoid Jessops but when I bought
>> my 20D+kit Jacobs and Jessops (opposite eachother on Oxford St, London)
>> both had the same deal for the same price... except Jessops had a 1G
>> card placed near the product in the window. Neither store offered any
>> memory with the package, but I convinced Jessops that their window
>> placement looked deceiving and they ended up throwing the 1G card in
>> for free - so that made it a worthwhile buy. I wouldn't buy lens's
>> from them though.
>>
>> If you expand your budget a fraction, you could consider a 20D with
>> 18-55 kit and a 75-300mm USM+IS lens - that whole lot (not forgetting I
>> got the card for free) was about £1,350 - try out both the 350D and
>> 20D and see how they feel for you - that was the advice I got before
>> purchasing and I went for the latter.
>>
>> Good luck!
>> Craig

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 5:24:02 AM

Hi Paul,

A quid is to pound what a buck is to dollar.... just slang :)

Craig
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:58:47 PM

Gordon MacPherson wrote:
> Hi,
> I have permission from the SO to upgrade from my much loved Oly 4000 to
> the Canon 350D/XT. I would like advice particularly re lenses – I have
> looked around at reviews and websites and am more than a little confused
> by the huge variety available!
> 1. I have a total budget of around £1,200 (around $2100 US)
> 2. The camera body is available in UK for around £555 with the kit lens
> (18-55) for about £40 more. Is the kit lens so bad that it is not worth
> going for it?
> 3. My needs vary from close-up/macro to long distance nature. Mostly
> are nature/landscapes/portraits. Given my budget, what lenses would you
> suggest(I could omit macro to start)
> 4. Is the 1gb CF card the best buy?
> 5. Should I buy an extra battery – I am used to carrying around several
> sets of spare AAs for the Oly?
> 6. Are there retailers in the UK that you would recommend/avoid at all
> costs?
> 7. Any other advice?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Gordon
> gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk

Many thanks for the most helpful advice. I have just put in the order:
350D body
EF28-105 3.5-4.5 USMII - very good reviews
EF75-300 U IS - overall seemed to be as good as anything in the price range
Battery grip
1BG card

Ordered from Warehouse Express

Now we wait and see!!!

Gordon
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:58:48 PM

Out of interest - how many quids/pounds did that lot total?
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:07:01 PM

Craig Dunn wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> A quid is to pound what a buck is to dollar.... just slang :)
>
> Craig

Thanks for clearing that up.
Paul
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:10:51 PM

Marten,
Got ya. It's amazing the thinks one can learn on Usenet. :-)
Paul

Marten wrote:
> You ever use the term 20 bucks? Same idea.
>
> "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@nospamcomcast.net> wrote in message
> news:D NKdnXBJdO4F8nPfRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
>
>>Craig,
>>I thought you "chaps" talked in pounds but you used the term quid, could
>>you enlighten one of the rebels from this side of the pond.:-)
>>Paul
>>

>>Craig Dunn wrote:
>>
>>>I recently purchased the 20D and it came with the kit lens (18-55)
>>>which I beleive is the same one they ship with the 350D. I don't find
>>>it to be a bad lens but I've heard from others that it's not the best
>>>quality - infact, the sales girl in Jessops told me this while I was
>>>buying it!
>>>
>>>If you're doing nature shots, particualrly animals, I'd recommend you
>>>get something like a 75-300mm - Canon do a very good one with image
>>>stabalizer. the IS hikes the price, but I've had really good results
>>>getting close to animals like deer, whilst moving around and using
>>>handheld - the IS is well worth it for this kind of shop, and a 75-300
>>>Canon USM + IS should set you back about 360 quid (Jessops charge 390,
>>>so I wouldn't get it there)
>>>
>>>the 1G card is probably the minimum you want - I've got 1G and get
>>>about 250 shots at full (JPG) quality.
>>>
>>>As far as retailers go.... I normally avoid Jessops but when I bought
>>>my 20D+kit Jacobs and Jessops (opposite eachother on Oxford St, London)
>>>both had the same deal for the same price... except Jessops had a 1G
>>>card placed near the product in the window. Neither store offered any
>>>memory with the package, but I convinced Jessops that their window
>>>placement looked deceiving and they ended up throwing the 1G card in
>>>for free - so that made it a worthwhile buy. I wouldn't buy lens's
>>>from them though.
>>>
>>>If you expand your budget a fraction, you could consider a 20D with
>>>18-55 kit and a 75-300mm USM+IS lens - that whole lot (not forgetting I
>>>got the card for free) was about £1,350 - try out both the 350D and
>>>20D and see how they feel for you - that was the advice I got before
>>>purchasing and I went for the latter.
>>>
>>>Good luck!
>>>Craig

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:46:17 PM

> Many thanks for the most helpful advice. I have just put in the order:
> 350D body
> EF28-105 3.5-4.5 USMII - very good reviews
> EF75-300 U IS - overall seemed to be as good as anything in the price
> range
> Battery grip
> 1BG card

You may still want to consider something wider, be it the 18-55 kit lens,
17-85 IS, 17-40L, or 10-22 EF-S lens. With the 1.6x crop factor, I don't
find 28 wide enough for a good number of indoor shots.

steve
August 3, 2005 2:00:43 AM

"Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > Many thanks for the most helpful advice. I have just put in the order:
> > 350D body
> > EF28-105 3.5-4.5 USMII - very good reviews
> > EF75-300 U IS - overall seemed to be as good as anything in the price
> > range
> > Battery grip
> > 1BG card
>
> You may still want to consider something wider, be it the 18-55 kit
lens,
> 17-85 IS, 17-40L, or 10-22 EF-S lens. With the 1.6x crop factor, I don't
> find 28 wide enough for a good number of indoor shots.

A 28mm on a 350D is a tiny bit wider than a "normal" 50mm on a film 35mm
camera. When I started in photography, that's the only lens I had for a
good while and I made it OK. Granted the kit lens may be a good choice for
indoor shots, but I think I would wait and get the 17-40L a bit later. The
28-135 with IS seems to be a very good lens and probably the best one to
have when travelling.

Jean
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:42:35 AM

> A 28mm on a 350D is a tiny bit wider than a "normal" 50mm on a film 35mm
> camera. When I started in photography, that's the only lens I had for a
> good while and I made it OK. Granted the kit lens may be a good choice
> for
> indoor shots, but I think I would wait and get the 17-40L a bit later.
> The
> 28-135 with IS seems to be a very good lens and probably the best one to
> have when travelling.

Using a 28-105 on an XT, there are a significant number of indoor shots
where I really would like to go wider, and the kit lens does that just fine.
When others use my camera with the 28-105 indoors, they usually comment that
they wish they could back up more, too.

Sure, the 17-40L is a great lens, but for the $50, you might as well get
the kit lens with the camera, and use it when it's needed until you save the
dinero for the 17-40L. While the kit lens won't take phenominal pictures,
they're better than no pictures at all. : )

In fact, last weekend I took pictures of some family diving from the high
dive at a small local pool - by far, the very smallest where I've ever seen
a high dive. I had the 28-105 with me, and in order to get in the position
I wanted to keep the water and the board in view, I had to keep the lens at
28, and was still not quite able to get the picture framed like I wanted.
The kit lens would have been a better choice for that day, indeed, and that
day certainly wasn't the only one!

In fact, if the person didn't already have the 28-105, I would have said
to skip that AND the kit lens, and get a 17-85....

steve
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:27:35 PM

Craig Dunn wrote:

> Out of interest - how many quids/pounds did that lot total?

£1295!

Gordon
!