Sign in with
Your question

Uninstalled/deleted my RealTek ALC 892 codec

Last response: in Components
October 28, 2012 11:55:54 PM

At some point I completely removed RealTek from my system. By that I mean, when I go to Device Manager, the device isn't even there anymore (I thought I remember a device being listed there somewhere). I remember doing it, but I don't remember why. I need to get it back, if there is any way to do that.

I tried downloading the drivers from my motherboards webpage (ASUS P8P67 PRO), but after installing, nothing has changed. Under "Audio" on the ASUS P8P67 PRO webpage this is listed:
Realtek® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

I really know nothing about codec's or audio in general. Is there anything I can do, or am I screwed?

EDIT: I just want to add that I did this over a year ago, but my audio has been working fine. So either that means that it isn't gone, or it could be because I am using something else maybe?

If I go to "Device Manager", what is listed under "Sound, video and game controllers" is:

Logitech G330 Headset
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

I have been getting audio through either my headset or through the HDMI connection on one of my GTX 570's. As far as I know, the GPU itself needs a sound device correct? The headset is a USB headset.

EDIT 2: After some searching, the NVIDIA High Definition Audio seems to be its own audio "device" or codec. Like I said, I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to anything audio, haha. Even though my audio has been working fine, I still need Realtek back, mainly to access the "Audio Manager".
October 29, 2012 1:25:03 AM

in the control panel uner peripheral for the sound audio and vido,game controller if you open it do you see only the nvidia or the realtek is in
m
l
October 29, 2012 1:57:32 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by peripheral, but under the "Sound" window like this one http://www.windows7update.com/images/Microsoft-Windows-... all I see is NVIDIA High Definition Audio" and "Logitech G330 Headset".

I've made sure to right click and select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
m
l
Related resources
October 29, 2012 3:19:40 AM

Went into my BIOS and looked through my onboard devices to find that the High Definition Audio had been disabled. I enabled it and logged back in to find it was now there.

Now Realtek is showing up in my sound options like in the picture I linked above, however there is still no audio coming through.

I'm going to keep messing with it to see if I can fix it, but if anybody has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks for your help scout_03!

EDIT: OK solved the problem! Thanks again scout_03!
m
l
October 29, 2012 11:19:24 PM

what was the last thing you made to get sound ?
m
l
!