i5-3350P can't be overclocked at all or locked multi?

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Hi every one

So I'm looking at a new cpu and I'm stuck between the I5-3570k and the i5-3350P. Now I want a good value here and losing the graphics on the 3350p is actually a benefit in my book since its part of the cost and i have no use for it. Now I overclock often but I'v only ever had AMD chips and I see strange conflicting reports on these chips, some people say you can not over clock the i5-3550p at ALL not even moving up the clock speed and some people say it just has a locked multiplier. If I could inch up the i5-3350P a bit to 3.5 ghz that's more then I would need and right around the amount of power I want. I realize the 3570k on paper is simply faster but if I can clock the i5-3350P up to around the same speed my self I see no reason to pay for it.

Has any one had experience with the NON-K series ivy bridge? Is it just the multiplier that is locked or can you not overclock at all. And if you can has any one gotten it up there some one claimed they kicked it up to 4.2ghz with just the clock seems unlikely.

The way it usually works with the non-K i5'/i7's is that you can overclock slightly by raising each Turbo multi by 4 each, but the strange thing with the 3350P is that it has a max stock Turbo of 3.3 when the non Turbo speed is 3.1.

Assuming that that doesn't change the ability to raise each of the Turbo multi's, that gives you a max Turbo of 3.7 with one and two cores in use, and (I'm just guessing) 3.6 with 3 and 4 in use.

It's just strange that they did that, though.

The main multi definitely is locked down, though. That's a no go.

Also, there's the BCLK, but overclocking that is only worth 100-200Mhz, if you stay within safe limits. Because of the way the BCLK works, it's dangerous to the rest of the system to overclock it too much (105-107Mhz from a base of 100Mhz is about as far as you'll ever want to push it).

Pretty much, but it's the same way with all of the Sandy and Ivy CPU's. That's why the K CPU's are so meaningful. It wouldn't make much sense to get a K CPU if you could just raise the BCLK to accomplish the same thing.

As far as being able to get to the speed you want, though, you'll be able to get there with the 3350P (Probably as far as 3.9 or so, if you OC with the Turbo multi's and the BCLK).

A 3.9-3.8Ghz 3350P is a damn fast CPU, though. You'd need to OC a 8320 to something like 4.7-4.8 to match it in single threaded performance.

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I use allot of highly multithread applications, so the 8320 will give me some benefit there I plan to kick it up to 4.2ghz which should be plenty for what I have in mind for it. I hate to highjack my own thread but can any one give any indication of how much faster a fx 8320 at 4.2ghz will run against a phenom ii x6 at 3.4 In terms of things like world of warcraft , battle field 2 and adobe? There was a toms article with the 8350 at 4.0 but im wondering how much a extra .2 .4 ghz clock speed will get me.

Yeah, from what I've heard, Steamroller is pretty much a dead lock to be on AM3+, with even Excavator being a possibility. I predict Excavator will be on a new socket, though, because of DDR4.

The reason I say you might want to wait is so you don't need to go out and buy a new CPU this time next year. The X6 will easily last you for one more year. That's one thing about the PII's. They're venerable and one of the best things AMD ever created. It's a shame they had to follow it up with the unmitigated disaster that was Bulldozer.

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I actually wouldn't mind upgrading again in a year I just really want around a 15% upgrade in world of warcraft maybe some other gaming and adobe cs 6 and visual studio if it will give me that its worth it for me. And I know I could boost the x6 up to get that 15% but I need a fairly large boost.

That's cool man, whatever floats your boat, lol.

I'm just saying that if it were me, I would wait it out, but I know how bad the itch to upgrade can be, lol. If you truly need that 15% (on the high end), and can't live without it for one more year, then it's all good, I suppose.

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
This is the hardest decision Iv made in years in terms of buying new hard ware I feel like Im really split the 8320 is cheaper , Im brand loyal , and will give me a little bit of a leg up in heavy multithreaded situations. The 3570k *which is what im looking at now in place of the 3550p , is faster out of the box much better for gameing and has a more potential power. The real problem is for me for all intensive purposes there rougly the same speed I feel if I push the 8320 to 4.5ghz it would be close o the 3570k , and yes I can overclock that as well but I just have no use for that power which means for a little work I can get them both at the same level of power. I guess I'm just thinking out loud here. If I knew that the 8320 at 4.5ghz would be a big step from the x6 at 3.4 I think I would pull the trigger

Latest posts