System performance increase for using a discrete card?

seroster

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Hello all, I was curious if there would be a noticable performance increase in any way from using a discrete card over on-board audio. I'm not terribly concerned about the quality of audio, my ears aren't very sensitive. I'm mostly concerned about:

a.) compatability, my aging X-fi has been much more problematic than I would like, and I'm thinking I'll at least switch brands if I decide to go discrete.

b.) My understanding when I bought my last rig was that adding a discrete card will take some load off of the CPU, since it no longer has to control audio in addition to the rest. Is this a noticeable increase, is it worth spending extra money?

c.) Good brands? Don't like my experience w/ my last Creative card so thinking asus, but IDK much about the sound card segment and who's quality and whatnot.

Any feedback folks?

As you said, you are not looking for/sensitive to high SQ so there is no reason to move out of onboard sound and even then many here seem to think a pricey soundcard can somehow make cheaply built/muddy sounding PC/Multimedia speakers sound godly @@