Solved

Cheap general purpose desktop build

Purpose :- General purpose computing (browsing, watching HD movies, Microsoft Office and everyday computing)

I would like to know if this build is apt for watching HD movies, as I have selected a Motherboard with an on board video card. Please let me know, if I should get a dedicated video card (I'm not using it to play any sort of games)

Questions :- Would I need to add an after market heat sink to keep the machine cool ? Do I need to add a dedicated video card ?

And if there's anything else that you' like to change. Please let me know ? :)

Parts:-

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

Mother Board - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO AM3 AMD 880G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131827

Memory - G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231422

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Blue WDBAAX3200ENC-NRSN 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136775

Computer Case - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

Power Supply - Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

Optical Drive - LITE-ON Internal 24x DVD Burner with Label-tag Feature 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model ihas524-T06 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106450
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cheap general purpose desktop build
  1. Best answer
    Insomniac0des said:
    Purpose :- General purpose computing (browsing, watching HD movies, Microsoft Office and everyday computing)

    I would like to know if this build is apt for watching HD movies, as I have selected a Motherboard with an on board video card. Please let me know, if I should get a dedicated video card (I'm not using it to play any sort of games)

    Questions :- Would I need to add an after market heat sink to keep the machine cool ? Do I need to add a dedicated video card ?

    And if there's anything else that you' like to change. Please let me know ? :)

    Parts:-

    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

    Mother Board - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO AM3 AMD 880G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131827

    Memory - G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231422

    HDD - Western Digital Caviar Blue WDBAAX3200ENC-NRSN 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136775

    Computer Case - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

    Power Supply - Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

    Optical Drive - LITE-ON Internal 24x DVD Burner with Label-tag Feature 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model ihas524-T06 - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106450



    Well...most of those parts are very outdated and in my personal opinion, they all suck

    This what you should get: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aHLm those parts will give more than enough power for a HTPC, that thing will be reaaaally quiet and cool, and the APU is powerfull enough to do some light gaming AND if you have the money i suggest you buy a AMD 6670 GPU and a Coolermaster 212 EVO cpu cooler (you can buy them both for 120-130$ in newegg) the 6670 will be paired with the APUs GPU to form a Hybrid Crossfire set up that will boost your performance in gaming and most media apps. The cpu cooler will allow to get lower temps and it will make you pc ULTRA silent. Hope i helped
  2. changes to build

    HDD

    I would also think that it would be beneficial to use a low end sandy bridge for general use, as a quad core phenom would never be fully utilized outside of gaming/professional work, and a low end sandy bridge would probably fit the processing power chart.


    OR


    I would suggest a Llano based processor, as llano chips are moderately priced for people who dont use gpus since the llano chips have built in gpus which are better than ones integrated in mobos and the intel hd series gpus.


    an example of a Llano chip + a high end FM1 mobo which rivals the cost of your mobo + cpu price combined(because the 30$ discount =X)

    you can techincally get this build cheaper(I can probably for you)
  3. Never use amd cpus...
  4. Phym said:
    Never use amd cpus...



    In this situation, the amd cpu is a fine choice. his computer fits the definition of an HTPC and a llano chip works fine an an htpc type build
  5. I suspect a Llano build will be the simplest way to accomplish what you want. Never mind games, I still wouldn't trust the integrated graphics on the low-end Intel chips to be up to the job. If you buy something more expensive to get HD3000 or HD4000, you will have overspent on the CPU for what you need. The tasks you describe are well-suited to an APU.

    Edit: It is also true that you could do well with a Pentium and a low-end discrete card like a HD6450. The APU is the simpler build; Intel+GPU would have a faster CPU but would be a little more involved to set up. To "us" that setup of a few additional drivers is unimportant, but to someone looking for absolutely minimal effort on the build, the APU should be a little quicker to get running.
  6. So I guess I will be getting a llano based processor. It would be really great if someone could suggest me a demo build with a llano based processor and a FM1 mobo.

    On second thoughts, If i indeed wanted to take the full advantage of a Phenom II Quad Core, then should I be opting for a better motherboard or will something like this work too

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138303

    along with this video card or something along like this

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130609


    This is my first build, so I am new to all of these... Thank You for your replies.
  7. Insomniac0des said:
    So I guess I will be getting a llano based processor. It would be really great if someone could suggest me a demo build with a llano based processor and a FM1 mobo.

    On second thoughts, If i indeed wanted to take the full advantage of a Phenom II Quad Core, then should I be opting for a better motherboard or will something like this work too

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138303

    along with this video card or something along like this

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130609


    This is my first build, so I am new to all of these... Thank You for your replies.


    just buy the build i listed first, its a really good deal and it will give more performance than you need, speacially if you buy the GPU i said and overclock your apu a bit with the 212 evo cooler.
  8. Okay got it.

    So I think I will get this along with the EVO cooler ... what are your thoughts

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125403

    Thanks.
  9. Insomniac0des said:
    Okay got it.

    So I think I will get this along with the EVO cooler ... what are your thoughts

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125403

    Thanks.


    if you do get a 6670, it actually can hybrid crossfire with a llano chip if the gpu power is ever needed.
  10. Insomniac0des said:
    Okay got it.

    So I think I will get this along with the EVO cooler ... what are your thoughts

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125403

    Thanks.


    Its more than perfect for a HTPC!
  11. This question might be silly, but still I will go ahead and ask ..

    If i decided to install Linux as my preferred OS, would it work too ?

    I mean, Linux works on the oldest pcs without any hiccups, but my skepticism lies in the latest Desktop Environment like Gnome 3 and Unity... as it requires 3D acceleration ...

    Any input would be much appreciated.
  12. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aJko

    This is something I would do. You don't need a huge HDD if you're browsing the internet, general computing, and watching netflix.

    Also the 2100 is a great processor that DESTROYS the AMD quad cores. Just my 2c
  13. Insomniac0des said:
    This question might be silly, but still I will go ahead and ask ..

    If i decided to install Linux as my preferred OS, would it work too ?

    I mean, Linux works on the oldest pcs without any hiccups, but my skepticism lies in the latest Desktop Environment like Gnome 3 and Unity... as it requires 3D acceleration ...

    Any input would be much appreciated.


    Yes you can intall linux....although if you want windows pro x64 for free..... let me know :lol:
  14. haha thanks. I like the leeway which comes with Linux. But thanks for your build.. I will be ordering it today.
  15. Best answer selected by Insomniac0des.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product