Intel Core i5 3570K BEST CPU for GTX 680???

Darth Horse

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Hey Guys,

I'm looking at upgrading my CPU, as I just got an Inno3D GeForce GTX 680 iChill Edition 2GB.

I don't plan on overclocking unless I really have to. I'm happy to just keep it all on it stock speeds. I may end up doing some overclocking in the future.
keeping this in mind, I've only got amd phenom II x6 1055t. Im finding that having everything up full on high grapics games, such as just cause 2, borderlands 2 battelfield 3 and crysis 1, that it will allow me to play at perfect smoothness and is great for a few minutes, and then it will then freeze suddenly. and i will have to restart my computer. My GPU temp never goes above 45 degrees, and my cpu never above 55 degrees. So im farely sure its not from overheating.
My guess is its bottlenecking. so Ive come to the decision to upgrade my CPU. Im happy to spend how ever much i need too, to stop this bottlenecking and allow me to play these games for more then and hour or 2 at a time.
My computer is purely for gaming, so I don't think I need and i7.

I'm looking at getting an Intel Core i5 3570K.

Will this bottleneck? And do i need to upgrade my motherboard? I'm quite happy to spend money on upgrading the motherboard, if it is required.

I run it at 1920x1080 on windows 7 64bit
my pc components are:

-Inno3D GeForce GTX 680 iChill Edition 2GB (not overclocked)
-amd phenom II x6 1055t (not overclocked, is at its stock speed 2.6GHZ)
-Corsair TX-850 V2 Power Supply
-CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler
-Asrock 870 Extreme 3
-G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

I would be awesome if I could get some opinions, and ideas. and even what might be better then what I've suggested.
Thanks in advance

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
I'm thinking that you have an easy fix here that'll solve you problems without upgrade, and yes, you would need a new motherboard that will accept the Intel processor.

Going to have you do this though first. Get a driver sweeper program and wipe your graphics card drivers, reinstall from Inno3D's website here
http://www.inno3d.com/support/download_inno3d.html
I'm fairly sure that'll fix your freezing issues.

Darth Horse

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

Thanks for the reply, well I did what you suggested, unfortunately its still doing the exact same thing. All my drivers are fully up to date on my motherboard, GPU, even windows is updated to the latest drivers...Thanks for the idea, but still didnt work. :(

Darth Horse

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
I have bought a driver sweeper program, and have reinstalled the driver software to the latest from the Inno3D website. And yes the same thing did happen on my previous cards (Radeon HD6970's being crossfired). The reason I replaced them with the gtx 680 is because they got way to hot. The GTX 680 is great, nice and cool. but back onto subject, I'm still in the same place I was in before. The only thing I can think of is replacing the CPU and Motherboard. Im very open to any other suggestions.

Thanks again for everyone's input!