External GPU on Lenovo X220

Hi Everyone,

I came across an interesting thread about a guy using an external GPU on his Lenovo X220. I am not sure how this is possible, and was wondering if I could do the same, and where I can get the parts necessary to do that

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about external lenovo x220
  1. Never heard of a external GPU, I don't even think it is possible. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure there isn't any port on any computer that can support the bandwidth of a GPU.
  2. Its certainly possible but like pepto said the card is hugely restricted by the port it connects to (usually the express card slot) so its not ideal.
  3. There would indeed be a significant bottleneck by the expresscard interface; but if you look at the DIY eGPU thread on the notebookreview forums, they say that e.g a GTX 560Ti will still give you an appreciable performance increase over Intel HD 3000 alone.
    On Youtube, /watch?v=36FNJsYhLb4, Battlefield 3 runs smoothly (35-60 fps) on Ultra (as opposed to 7-8 fps on Low on Intel HD 3000).
    The whole process, however, of building your own eGPU, remains complicated, and much more expensive than say a console (keep in mind that you need another monitor! can't use the laptop's). So if you are somewhat tech-savvy, really determined AND have the money, know that it is possible. The thread I mentioned is really well made.
  4. JohnBender said:
    There would indeed be a significant bottleneck by the expresscard interface; but if you look at the DIY eGPU thread on the notebookreview forums, they say that e.g a GTX 560Ti will still give you an appreciable performance increase over Intel HD 3000 alone.
    On Youtube, /watch?v=36FNJsYhLb4, Battlefield 3 runs smoothly (35-60 fps) on Ultra (as opposed to 7-8 fps on Low on Intel HD 3000).
    The whole process, however, of building your own eGPU, remains complicated, and much more expensive than say a console (keep in mind that you need another monitor! can't use the laptop's). So if you are somewhat tech-savvy, really determined AND have the money, know that it is possible. The thread I mentioned is really well made.

It's also a giant 900 page thread, it's easier to read the summary.
  5. sk1939 said:
    It's also a giant 900 page thread, it's easier to read the summary.

Yes of course, that's what I meant. Reading that and the experiences people made with your laptop (if any) should be enough to have a fair grasp on what you need to do and buy.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Lenovo Graphics