Cooling behind a CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xasti

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
I'm building a new system and in process of picking out all the components. Now after looking at nice full cases, some user comments about the cases mention placing additional heat management under the motherboard. So, after browsing newegg for a few hours, I'm not finding these components. By the way, I am not wanting to venture into watercooled systems, so please don't suggest them. If anyone can suggest what items I can use under my motherboard, I'd appreciate it. And to be clear, I will be using a traditional fan on top of the cpu. I'm just looking for additional cooling.

greddy23

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Additional heat management behind the motherboard? I heard of cable management, and one case that had a vent in the front part that got some of the air from the front fans to go behind the case and behind the motherboard, forgot which one it was. But i have not heard of this, I am actually interested to see what components they are talking about :D

Xasti

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
If you look at some of the higher end full towers, there is a big hole right where the CPU would sit, along with mounting points. So, something is made to go there.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012

The cutout you mention is for the backplates of CPU coolers. Things like the Hyper212 EVO have a backplate that screws behind the mobo to support it the cutout means you can mount or dismount the cooler without having to actually remove the mobo.

Xasti

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
So with the small area behind the mobo filled with cables, its not really recommended or needed to put a secondary cooler behind the board unless a fan has a backplate or something included in the packaging?

that's true, I actually had a fan back there once. was noisy so I took it out. can't really say if it made a difference or not.........

Status
Not open for further replies.