System Randomly Freezes

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 24, 2012 2:02:16 AM

Greetings all,

I've searched high and low for 4+ months trying to resolve this issue with no luck yet. Hopefully with your help I may be able to finally find a resolution.

My system randomly freezes. Sometimes it happens during use (ie Facebook, Gaming, watching YouTube etc) and sometimes it happens when the computer is idle using the screen saver. The computer will freeze at least once every 4 hours. When it freezes I'm forced to shut off the PSU and then turn it back on and boot the machine. The only error in Event Viewer is that "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first."

My build:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel i5 -2500
MSI H67MA-E35 Motherboard
2 x Patriot Signature 4GB RAM
1 x Seagate ST31000524AS 1TB Hard Drive
XFX Radeon HD 6770 Graphics Card
VisionTek 500W PSU

I have had a warranty replacement for both the motherboard and graphics card. I have tried both sticks of RAM using only 1x4GB DIMM at a time. I have checked the CPU temperature and although I do not remember what it is it was running cool and is not an issue. I have updated/reinstalled all drivers. The machine runs in a cool room and this happens with the cover off/on. The rig has 4 fans and I believe are all facing correct ways to cool effectively.

This issue ONLY occurs when the graphics card is in the machine via PCIe slot. This issue does not occur when the graphics card is not connected. I was told by XFX that the 500w PSU is adequate and should not be the issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I may do to resolve this issue? I appreciate any/all feedback.

Thanks for your time and help!

More about : system randomly freezes

June 24, 2012 5:11:39 AM

I'm asking just to be doubly sure because you did not say it: you did connect the 6PIN PCIe connector from the PSU to the 6770, right?
m
l
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2012 6:15:13 AM

While you technically have enough power you have a junk power supply. That so called 500w power supply is only putting out 348 watts on the 12v rail and if it was a quality brand would be labeled as a 380-400w power supply.

I can only find a real review for the 700w model but it's made by the same OEM Power Giga. I thought I had at least heard of every power supply manufacturer but I found a new one in Power Giga today.

On to the review.

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/09/01/visiontek_700w_po...

" At the end of the day, the Visiontek 700W joins a very select club of power supplies that includes the Ultra X2 750W EE, Diablotek PHD650, Apevia ATX-AS500W, and MSI Turbostream 460W. Which is like saying you just joined the elite club of the Plagues of Egypt. As it stands, buying the Visiontek 700W for any serious use makes about as much sense as bringing home a black rat full of fleas in Europe in 1349. You are going to get bit doing so, just hope something doesn’t die in the process. "

And that might just be the worst review I have ever read. It's at least the most cleverly worded!

Very high ripple and noise will very much make your computer have random crashes. Especially when you put a load on something that can't take it like your power supply.

I would give it about a 95% chance that a quality power supply will fix your problem. And if not you need to get rid of that firecracker anyway before it dies and takes the rest of your computer with it.

With your listed setup a quality 400-450w power supply from Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ and Antec will be plenty. Stick with those brands for quality.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

You could have got a quality unit for the same price as that junk model or maybe even less. This will be fine with your setup and is $35 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
June 24, 2012 9:27:55 PM

@randomkid - Yes I did.

@anort3 - Thanks for the advice I will try an upgraded PSU.
m
l
!