Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to calculate RPM of a cabinet fan or any other fan?

Last response: in Components
October 29, 2012 7:19:00 AM

Hello,

I didn't know where to put this question so i asked it here, the thing is i saw this guy on youtube demonstrating his steam engine model and calculating its RPM (Revolutions per second) by first taking its wheel's video and then using some software and frames per second to calculate that wheel's RPM. He added that video he took of the rotating wheel into that software and calculating somehow the RPM of that wheel.

If you guys know any of this method to calculate RPM please let me know as well. I know my cabinet fan's RPM is 1200 but still i would like to try this method as well.

Thanks in advance

Best solution

October 29, 2012 7:51:29 AM

The same way you time anything with a camera. Take a video with a high frame rate camera. count the number of frames it takes to complete one revolution. Multiply by the fps of the recording.

In your case if it were exactly 1200 RPM and you were shooting at 60 FPS it would take 3 frames.

1r/3f * 60f/s = 20r/s 20r/s * 60s/m = 1200r/m

You really need a high speed camera to actually be accurate.
October 29, 2012 8:14:29 AM

Best answer selected by krahul44.
m
l
October 29, 2012 8:17:09 AM

unksol said:
The same way you time anything with a camera. Take a video with a high frame rate camera. count the number of frames it takes to complete one revolution. Multiply by the fps of the recording.

In your case if it were exactly 1200 RPM and you were shooting at 60 FPS it would take 3 frames.

1r/3f * 60f/s = 20r/s 20r/s * 60s/m = 1200r/m

You really need a high speed camera to actually be accurate.

Thanks, i just needed some sense full answer, that is exactly what i got from you.
m
l
!