Sli 480's or single 570?

I have been waiting to get a graphics car in my newly build system for about 3 or 4 months now.
I can no longer wait to get a car and I have come down to two options.. a single GTX 570 MSI Twin Frozr at $320 or dual 480's at $420.
This is my first build... >.>

Thanks.
21 answers Last reply
More about single
  1. Neither. Sapphire 7970 at $460.
  2. Doesn't 480 SLI > single 7970?
    I literally have 12 windows open trying to find the best graphics option.
  3. Sure, by a little. It also takes around 600W at load. NOT including everything else. Compare that with like 200W for a 7970 OC.
  4. I only have a 750w psu..

I have a haf 932 so I don't think airflow would be an issue..
  5. Sigh recon. I know the 480's are good. But lets divide 600W by 80 and you get 7.5W/fps. and then 200W by 60 and you get 3.33W/fps. So it has double the watt/performance roughly.
  6. Would it be possible, do you think?
  7. Here is my exact psu, I thought it would have be decent for whatever I wanted to do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010
  8. i5 2500k / ASUS P8P67 Deluxe/ 8gb RipJaw 1600
  9. ............a single GTX 570 MSI Twin Frozr at $320 or dual 480's at $420.

both will make a terrible car
  10. recon is usually right from my xp. If you are considering older cards I think you should look at used cards to save some cash. Also you might want to consider a 560ti-448 core over a 570.
  11. How long do you think it'd be before you could get two 680's for the price of 480's?
  12. So do you think sli 480's will last that long? lol
  13. Best answer selected by jereack.
  14. I just ordered two 480's. :)
  15. Thanks, Recon.

I'll have to kick your ass at black ops one of these days!
  16. Youtube lol

You did put a link up.
  17. lol I saw one of your sniping videos and I just had to look at it. :)
  18. 750 watt would be pushing it.Im sure recon is right but if it were me i wouldnt attempt it.To me the one thing to never skimp on is the powersupply its not worth it to lose a whole system because your psu is weak.I would not overclock anything on that rig till you get a decent 1000 watt psu..
  19. Quote:
    His psu is able to output a peak of 900w.

I understand that but can it maintain that constant?Im not that well imformed of psu's,but it still doesnt leave much headroom and i deffinetley would not overclock anything.
  20. Little late to the party but id never recommend 2 generation old vid cards to anyone, it leaves no upgrade path. A single 7970 wouldve been the same price, plus or minus a few bucks, and left you a ton of options for upgrades in the future. Just my opinion tho, not meant to get anyone riled up but it probably will anyhow.
  21. vrumor said:
    Little late to the party but id never recommend 2 generation old vid cards to anyone, it leaves no upgrade path. A single 7970 wouldve been the same price, plus or minus a few bucks, and left you a ton of options for upgrades in the future. Just my opinion tho, not meant to get anyone riled up but it probably will anyhow.

i agree. in raw power 480 sli may be better(cant say it is because dont have either card)but you used up 2 pci slots already and dont have much headroom for upgrade. always get the single best gpu that you can afford, and maybe get another like a year down the line. that being said, and since you have already purchased them, those will be fine for 2 or 3 years as long as you only play at 1920x1080 or lower
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SLI Build Graphics Product