Sli 480's or single 570?

jereack

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I have been waiting to get a graphics car in my newly build system for about 3 or 4 months now.
I can no longer wait to get a car and I have come down to two options.. a single GTX 570 MSI Twin Frozr at $320 or dual 480's at $420.
This is my first build... >.>

Thanks.

G

750 watt would be pushing it.Im sure recon is right but if it were me i wouldnt attempt it.To me the one thing to never skimp on is the powersupply its not worth it to lose a whole system because your psu is weak.I would not overclock anything on that rig till you get a decent 1000 watt psu..

G

His psu is able to output a peak of 900w.

I understand that but can it maintain that constant?Im not that well imformed of psu's,but it still doesnt leave much headroom and i deffinetley would not overclock anything.

Little late to the party but id never recommend 2 generation old vid cards to anyone, it leaves no upgrade path. A single 7970 wouldve been the same price, plus or minus a few bucks, and left you a ton of options for upgrades in the future. Just my opinion tho, not meant to get anyone riled up but it probably will anyhow.

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

i agree. in raw power 480 sli may be better(cant say it is because dont have either card)but you used up 2 pci slots already and dont have much headroom for upgrade. always get the single best gpu that you can afford, and maybe get another like a year down the line. that being said, and since you have already purchased them, those will be fine for 2 or 3 years as long as you only play at 1920x1080 or lower