cdepappe

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hi,
I just recently built my own gaming machine. I completely built from the ground up other than my HDD. The HDD I took from my old STORE BOUGHT PC, so it has an OEM of windows 7 home premium 64 bit that came with that computer. As you know this will not work on the new self build computer after the first month.

So here is the question. I have the home built PC with the OLD HDD inside of it with a now "non genuine" Windows 7 on it. If i am to purchase a NEW Windows 7 64 bit OEM will i be able to install it onto this HDD in my new homebuilt machine?

Solution
The reason that the Windows 7 will not function with your current build even though you have the same HDD is because the base value of your system is too different from the variables of your old system.

With a new product key you should be fine w/o having to re-install windows.

iendigma

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
The reason that the Windows 7 will not function with your current build even though you have the same HDD is because the base value of your system is too different from the variables of your old system.

With a new product key you should be fine w/o having to re-install windows.

Solution

cdepappe

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
okay :) thank you soooooo much! so basicly, my hard drive came with a manufactures OEM on it. so if i buy my own OEM and enter that key to register it it will work perfectly fine on my computer, i just wont be able to transfer it to another computer obviuously?

iendigma

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Correct, however, I have heard that in some cases if you call & give microsoft customer support a bunch of grief they will provide you a way to get the win7 you already have up & running even though it is an OEM product.

Worth a shot but if nothing else yea just get a new product key.