Sign in with
Your question

6950 Low Performance Issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 30, 2012 2:48:36 AM

Hello all,
I've recently been testing my system and noticed performance is pretty low, it tends to lack where it should be. The main reason i have come to this conclusion is a recent test i did with 3dmark 11. My hardware is still a little under two years old and some parts less than a couple months. I think it's my graphics card, but am also inclined to say it could be my processor (Bottleneck?). I have 2 6950's, but with crossfire enabled, all i've seen so far are small performance increases or even decreases. I also have an eyefinity setup (3 screens) at 5760 x 1080. Processor was overclocked to 3.8 gHz the other day but i decided to go back to stock settings and performance is actually slightly better... Drivers are also at 12.4, previously 12.3 with little to no difference. I'ts confusing how this is happening? Regular browsing is fine and there doesn't seem to be any hiccups, just in comparison to other systems, in games too (BF3, Crysis 2, Heaven Benchmark, Skyrim) it seems to always be 10-20 fps lower. (in 1920 x 1080) whether crossfire is enabled or disabled.
Help would be appreciated, if there is any information I seem to be missing, just let me know, please.

Here are results for 3DMark 11:
3DMark Score P5123
Graphics Score 4885
Physics Score 7139
Combined Score 4847
GraphicsTest 121.9 FPS
GraphicsTest 224.26 FPS
GraphicsTest 329.48 FPS
GraphicsTest 414.82 FPS
PhysicsTest 22.67 FPS
CombinedTest 22.55 FPS

Here are system specs:
EVGA X58 SLI LE
Core i7 930 stock @ 2.93 gHZ (turbo mode and hyperthreading)
Crossfire 6950's @ stock clocks
Kingwin 1000w
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (1600 mHz)
Hitachi 1000GB 7200 RPM

Thanks.
(Sorry if this is in the wrong section, hah I'm new here.)
April 30, 2012 4:02:42 AM

Is your 3dmark11 score at 5123 with both cards?because that is the score of 1 6950.
the best drivers I've found for 6950 xfire is the 12.2's with 12.2 cap 1.
i dont see your cpu being the issue.make sure the xfire bridge is installed,power connected to the cards.A good program to monitor the cards is
http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
it will allow you to view both cards at the same time to verify that xfire is indeed working.

I would definatly o/c the cpu anyways:
http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking...
m
l
April 30, 2012 4:18:26 AM

Earnie said:
Is your 3dmark11 score at 5123 with both cards?because that is the score of 1 6950.
the best drivers I've found for 6950 xfire is the 12.2's with 12.2 cap 1.
i dont see your cpu being the issue.make sure the xfire bridge is installed,power connected to the cards.A good program to monitor the cards is
http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
it will allow you to view both cards at the same time to verify that xfire is indeed working.

I would definatly o/c the cpu anyways:
http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking...

I used that guide when i overclocked it a while ago hah, thanks though.
-To your quiestion regarding crossfire, that is with crossfire disabled. In comparison to other cards, it still seems quite low, whereas others seem to be at somewhere near 6000+ for graphics and well above 7000 for other 930s... crossfire bridge is installed, i have 2 on actually haha. Thanks though... any other ideas?
m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2012 4:28:12 AM

To make it more clear, i guess the issue i am having is not crossfire, but general performance, with or without it enabled, it's still not at what it should be. Unless someone has some benches with a similar system, from what I've seen, my performance is not as high as it should be. I recently did a fresh install of windows too, so it has to be something in the hardware?
m
l
April 30, 2012 4:31:27 AM

Umm P5123 is about what you should get with a HD 6950. It's totally normal.
m
l
April 30, 2012 4:37:47 AM

Sunius said:
Umm P5123 is about what you should get with a HD 6950. It's totally normal.

Looking at other results, it just seems about 1000 lower still, and in some cases, the physics score, 2000? Could this be due an overclock? Or are my bench sources not true then, because they're straight from the site? if 5123 is normal, then i'm satisfied.
m
l
April 30, 2012 4:38:49 AM

I benched mine this morn(other issues)
1-6950 P5054
xfire-P8213
m
l
April 30, 2012 4:42:27 AM

Earnie said:
I benched mine this morn(other issues)
1-6950 P5054
xfire-P8213

Hmmm interesting. Those seem rather similar. Well, i guess i'm just worrying over nothing then. so are all these scores http://3dmark.com/search?resultTypeId=232&linkedDisplay...
not true then? What else could affect them to score so much higher?
m
l
April 30, 2012 4:48:17 AM

Susejchristo said:
Looking at other results, it just seems about 1000 lower still, and in some cases, the physics score, 2000? Could this be due an overclock? Or are my bench sources not true then, because they're straight from the site? if 5123 is normal, then i'm satisfied.

If you are looking at futuremark's database, you have to realize that most scores in their database are overclocked systems, and some people go to the extremes. You also should be looking specifically at the graphics score as a comparison. An i7 930 is not going to score well without it being OC'ed to 4Ghz.

Your score is what you should be expecting.
m
l
April 30, 2012 4:50:10 AM

from the ones i looked at,there all o/clocked north of 4.0ghz and some of them the video cards are o'clocked as well.

bystander beat me to it!
m
l
April 30, 2012 5:02:34 AM

Well thank you all. This makes sense then. Just being paranoid i guess! just ran it in crossfire and got a much better score in comparison to overclocked processor the other day, so i am happy now. It doesn't make much sense, but whatever haha.
Results:
3DMark Score P8655
Graphics Score 9720
Physics Score 7016
Combined Score 5883
GraphicsTest1 43.66 FPS
GraphicsTest2 48.49 FPS
GraphicsTest3 58.61 FPS
GraphicsTest4 29.36 FPS
PhysicsTest 22.28 FPS
CombinedTest 27.36 FPS

I've tried an overclock multiple times, but every time i do it, i see little to no improvement and end up reverting back to original clocks. Is this heard of? Am i doing something wrong? hah
m
l
April 30, 2012 5:07:17 AM

As far as OCing goes, you might not see a lot of improvements without making large OC's, and that also takes a bit of knowledge and risk.

Your graphics score will only improve by about the same percentage as you raise the core clocks, and the memory clocks make much smaller improvements. The physics scores will be improved by CPU OCing, and you'll find that the CPU related tasks make a smaller dent into the overall score, which is weighted much more towards the GPU.
m
l
April 30, 2012 5:14:55 AM

bystander said:
As far as OCing goes, you might not see a lot of improvements without making large OC's, and that also takes a bit of knowledge and risk.

Your graphics score will only improve by about the same percentage as you raise the core clocks, and the memory clocks make much smaller improvements. The physics scores will be improved by CPU OCing, and you'll find that the CPU related tasks make a smaller dent into the overall score, which is weighted much more towards the GPU.

Yeah, i'm probably not experienced enough to do more than some small simple performance boosts, i do live in colorado though! Where it's pretty cold when my window's open! Haha, no harm in trying someday.
Thank you Earnie, bystander, and Sunius for your input, as it has relieved much stress! Can't afford a new computer going off to college next year!:/ Good to know there's nothing wrong with this one.
m
l
April 30, 2012 5:38:11 AM

Why would you want a new computer? You've got a really powerful machine.
m
l
April 30, 2012 5:59:30 AM

Sunius said:
Why would you want a new computer? You've got a really powerful machine.

Haha i recently convinced my friend to put together a computer and didn't think he'd actually do it. But he did. And he saved up more money than i did, and guess who has the better rig? ... Other than that, the natural american consumerism and want to have something better because my hardware feels old, even though i know it's really not. haha
m
l
April 30, 2012 10:10:16 PM

I knew something was up. Went to boot up my system after school today to find an FF code displayed on the LED pad thing for the motherboard. Can't get it to post or anything. Removed ram with one stick, unplugged and reset CMOS, waited. Still nothing. RMA?? It's sort of a pain, as I just reseated my heats sink last week...
m
l
!