Sign in with
Your question

Should my web server be inside or outside the LAN?

Last response: in Networking
November 4, 2005 8:45:33 PM

Just wonder a web server should be placed. Everyone should have access to it from the Internet. Should it be placed outside the LAN (before the router) or inside the LAN (after the router).

I guess the security of the server would be a lot higher if the server is protected by the router. If this is the best solution. How can I make sure that all internet requests are answered by the web server and not by any clients also inside the LAN?

More about : web server inside lan

November 4, 2005 9:08:37 PM

Connect it 'inside' on the LAN, but set up a DMZ at the router to forward web requests to it.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>
November 7, 2005 1:47:04 PM

In your case inside.

If you can lock it down and not care if it gets hacked or crashed, put it outside for additional security. Understand that having a webserver behind your firewall/router, means that you're letting people through your firewall and having access to your server, which, if they hack, now are through your firewall.

In many cases like this, you would ideally want to run 2 firewalls. Almost like a sink's water trap. They get through the first firewall to the webserver, but they have to go through a 2nd firewall to get to your network. Additional security is required, etc, etc.
Related resources
November 7, 2005 4:34:26 PM

testing, please ignore
November 7, 2005 4:36:24 PM

testing, please ignore
November 8, 2005 10:25:21 PM

Well, I have an Apache web server and an FTP server running on a machine INSIDE my LAN. I have the router port forward to the IP address of the server. Therefore any requests made, it will be forwarded there. I have had mine up for 9 months, and haven't had any problems yet. Haha, except when I lose power.

My System:
http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org
!