How to format a Fuji xd card

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 1, 2005 7:18:04 PM

I have a Fuji S5000 camera and are having trouble with the xd card. I
thought that when I had this trouble before I was able to format it in my
PC. (I always transfer the pics to the PC via a card reader.)

Suddenly the camera gives the error message "Card not initialized"; remedy:
Format the card.

But I can find absolutely no reference either in my S5000 manual or my S602
manual about how to format a card.

The card is a 128MB one and had only average use. Can anyone suggest how to
restore it, please (I am not bothered about the lost pictures).

Eric

More about : format fuji card

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:18:05 PM

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:18:04 +0100, Cire wrote:

> I have a Fuji S5000 camera and are having trouble with the xd card. I
> thought that when I had this trouble before I was able to format it in my
> PC. (I always transfer the pics to the PC via a card reader.)
>
> Suddenly the camera gives the error message "Card not initialized"; remedy:
> Format the card.
>
> But I can find absolutely no reference either in my S5000 manual or my S602
> manual about how to format a card.

In the S5100 manual the table of contents has 6 chapters. The
fourth chapter (Settings) shows these entries under SET-UP menu
Power Save Setting
Format
World Time (Time Difference)
Frame No.
CCD-RAW

If your S5000 is formatted the same way my S5100 does it, you
should do this:

1. Turn the camera on (to Photography Mode, not Playback Mode).

2. Press the Menu/OK button.

3. Move left or right until you reach the Option Menu.

4. Move up to SET-UP and press the Menu/OK button.

5. There are 4 option screens. The Format option is in screen
number 1, so you should see it immediately.

6. Move down to Format and then either move right or press Menu/OK.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:25:29 PM

Many thanks for your help. The procedure is exactly the same on my S5100 and
I went all through the manual and the camera menus, and still I missed it!
It is now working perfectly so, as you can imagine, I am well pleased.

Thanks again.

Eric

"ASAAR" <caught@22.com> wrote in message
news:p 9dse1hbu69cbmlnefht89vo2algtom2vi@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:18:04 +0100, Cire wrote:
>
> > I have a Fuji S5000 camera and are having trouble with the xd card. I
> > thought that when I had this trouble before I was able to format it in
my
> > PC. (I always transfer the pics to the PC via a card reader.)
> >
> > Suddenly the camera gives the error message "Card not initialized";
remedy:
> > Format the card.
> >
> > But I can find absolutely no reference either in my S5000 manual or my
S602
> > manual about how to format a card.
>
> In the S5100 manual the table of contents has 6 chapters. The
> fourth chapter (Settings) shows these entries under SET-UP menu
> Power Save Setting
> Format
> World Time (Time Difference)
> Frame No.
> CCD-RAW
>
> If your S5000 is formatted the same way my S5100 does it, you
> should do this:
>
> 1. Turn the camera on (to Photography Mode, not Playback Mode).
>
> 2. Press the Menu/OK button.
>
> 3. Move left or right until you reach the Option Menu.
>
> 4. Move up to SET-UP and press the Menu/OK button.
>
> 5. There are 4 option screens. The Format option is in screen
> number 1, so you should see it immediately.
>
> 6. Move down to Format and then either move right or press Menu/OK.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:25:30 PM

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:25:29 +0100, Cire wrote:

> Many thanks for your help. The procedure is exactly the same . . .

You're welcome! It's easy to miss the path into the SET-UP, as I
also discovered while the camera was new.
!