Motherboard not Posting need assistance

fmydog

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hello all i am new to the forums and was working with some other thread but i fear i was in the wrong thread (Motherboards). I really hope my motherboard is not fried or anything like that. I will paste all my previous posts to give detailed info on the matter. I basicaly need help resting easy and sleeping at night, my living room is scattered with PC Parts.

my specs.
CPU: i7 920
RAM:8 GB Corsair Dominator 1600MH DDR3: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Domi [...] B004O6I9RW
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/pr [...] id=3305#ov
GPU: HD 7950
PSU: Coolmax CUQ1350 1350 Watt Modular PSU: http://coolmaxusa.com/productDetai [...] ry=modular

HDD: WD 640 GB Black Edition Sata II
OS type + version : Win 7 PRO

the thing that really gets me is i have tried so many things i cant begin to list them all and nothing i do gets it to post.

I have eliminated a short through the breadboard method. I have tried 2 sets of ram. I have tried disconnecting all devices. I have tried 3 power supplys all verified working and nothing seems to help. Some background info, I pulled the mobo out to replace it with a newer one and then right before i packaged it up on ebay i decided to test and post a video of it working so ebayers would bid more confidently. but it just kept rebooting and the SB Volatage light keeps turning red and rebooting the pc. I am not new to computers but this really strikes me as odd. Do you think i could have damaged it with ESD? I had my wrist strape on so it never crossed my mind but who knows. I orderd a POST CARD so i can maybe see if that works. My gigabyte board has those cool leds and the only 3 that seem to turn on in this process are the green and yellow ones top right of the mobo that relate to the ram, then the red one (SB L1,2,3 #3) flashes for a split second then it goes into the infinite reboot cycle. I had to tell the bidders to hold off on the sale due to this problem, the current high bid was 234$ USD so i really hope i can get it working. Thanks in advance and if i go off on tangents i apologize i really like to talk.

Solution

Too bad. I guess its RMA time for the motherboard then...

fmydog

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I have been going through that guide over and over trying everything leaving no stone unturned. Does anyone know if there is a way to undo damage from esd or determine if it damaged the components. i am starting to loose my mind. I poseted two videos to show what my mobo is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSo7nQS8bBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdH06zlknuE

one of the videos the mobo stays on but even with gpu nothing shows up it requires the 8 pin pugged in to post properly. I am wondering if the 8 pin has something to do with it.

npandreasen

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

I have been wondering if my 8 pin on the motherboard is the issue that I am having. Your first video is essentially what my PC looks like it is doing, except it doesn't have power for that long.

fmydog

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
oh so yours litteraly just flickers really fast. that happened to mine when i had the ram in the wrong slots, its an easy mistake with i7 triple channel the ram is finickey and i had my ram in the blue slots instead of the white, it would turn on for less than a second then turn off. then i switched to the blue slots and it would start rebooting. I ordered a pc POST CARD to maybe help me determine the problem. I really really really hope i didnt damage it with esd, i need to start knocking on wood lol.

npandreasen

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

My motherboard/processor support DUAL channel RAM, and the PC started up and I had Windows installed before any problems occurred.

I really don't think it's an issue with the RAM (however, I'd love it to be this easy). :(

fmydog

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
have you tried diffrent sets of ram? Unless miraculously overnight all 6 sticks of ram i have all went bad from my previous build my ram is all tested working otherwise i would get more and test it but i think 6 sticks being bad would be a horrible coincidence. I was reading your previous posts and i really hope this problem does not detour you awat from building more pcs in the future it is really rewarding when they work :p its a good feeling. I would never buy a prebuilt pc again.

randomkid

Distinguished

Do you mean you have a motherboard that requires 8PIN but your PSU only have 4? If yes, the motherboard should still work but will have less overclocking potential. But the 4PIN's should go to the right 4PIN slots. The motherboard manual should indicate which.

Otherwise, please clarify what is it about the 8PIN.

npandreasen

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

I don't have different RAM sets laying around the house. :p

I guess I'm just super annoyed that I just spent $1300 on a new PC, got it worked on my first try, to have it up and running for 2 hours, and the entire thing dies afterwards. I was beyond excited to see it up and running.

I can't justify this loss of money and time spent as being rewarding over buying a working piece of machinery. :(

fmydog

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

To be more specific yes the motherboard does require 8 pin CPU connection from psu and all 3 of my psu`s have this. if you watch my two videos in one I do not plug in anything to the 8 pin and the mobo boots. it does not post all the way but it gets further. if i plug 4/8 pin in it just keeps power cycling.

fmydog

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Well I can't argue with that last statement :p, one thing I can say though is one way or another even if it is 100 RMA's away at least your not dead haha that's the only thought that's a positive for me right now, it can always get worse haha. I'm calling it a night. I'm going to see if the post card diagnosis equipment helps. I will report back on Monday. goodnight everyone.

randomkid

Distinguished

Too bad. I guess its RMA time for the motherboard then...

Solution