Hiper Type-R 580

adrums63

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
Hello- I don't know a whole lot about power supplies, and I was wondering if someone can explain the following:
In the THG Stress test, the <b>Hiper Type-R</b> failed because it was out of the ATX specification range (see <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/stresstest-18.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/stresstest-18.html</A>)
On the -12V rail it was measuring -13.32V. Could anyone explain what the impact of this would be? Is it going to fry my mobo? Am I going to see unexpected cpu clock frequencies or unwanted PWM temps? (lol)

I guess what I'm really asking is- what does the -12V rail do and what would be affected when it is more than 1V out of range?
Thanks in advance!

-a

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by adrums63 on 11/03/05 06:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, it won't fry your board. Most 12v circuits are also designed to run off car batteries, which run from 11.9v (discharged) to 13.8v (fully charged).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

julius

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
toms failed this psu for no reason, the -12v rail doesnt matter the least bit, as in not even used. sure it shouldnt be out of spec, but alot of psus dont do well on negative voltages, theyre not needed.

CD

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
toms failed this psu for no reason, the -12v rail doesnt matter the least bit, as in not even used. sure it shouldnt be out of spec, but alot of psus dont do well on negative voltages, theyre not needed.

I agree. I have this PSU and it works absolutely perfectly with my AMD 64 3000+ and NVidia 6600GT on an ABit Fatal1ty AN8 SLI mobo. all in a Thermaltake Soprano case.

What I don't like about most reviews and that includes THG is that they will only review the sample they recieve. I would rather that a replacement is used in testing if the initial sample fails. I doubt very much that the -12V rail problem detected in the stress test is prevelent with ALL of these PSUs.