Solved

Problems With my build?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 24, 2012 6:17:19 AM

Here is my build. I don't have a doubt about the quality but if you have any reccomendations I would be happy to consider them.

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560Ti
CASE: NZXT Phantom
MainHDD: 60GB Corsair Force GT
Secondary HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda
OPTICAL DRIVE: Pioneer DVR-219L
MOTHERBOARD: AsRock Z77 extreme4
POWER SUPPLY: Antec HCG-900
RAM/MEMORY: G.skill Ares 1600Mhz (2x4GB)
Keyboard: Logitech G110
Monitor: ASUS VE228H 21.5 Inch
Mouse: Roccat Kova[+]
Mat: Razer Goliathus Fragged Omega Speed Edition
-ANTI-STATIC WRIST STRAP
-CABLE TIES

More about : problems build

Best solution

June 24, 2012 6:46:04 AM

Ditch the static wrist strap,mouse mat, and the cable ties - those things are useless and you're just throwing money away. Your PSU comes with plenty of cable ties.

Also switch your primary SSD, get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You're also spending way too much on peripherals and not enough on where it counts: the GPU. If gaming is the primary focus you want the absolute best GPU you can afford. What's the primary budget? I can suggest a way better system if I knew that.
June 24, 2012 7:34:32 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Ditch the static wrist strap,mouse mat, and the cable ties - those things are useless and you're just throwing money away. Your PSU comes with plenty of cable ties.

Also switch your primary SSD, get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You're also spending way too much on peripherals and not enough on where it counts: the GPU. If gaming is the primary focus you want the absolute best GPU you can afford. What's the primary budget? I can suggest a way better system if I knew that.

my budget is about 1.5-1.6
I live in australia and am ordering of the website pccasegear.com.au
they dont have a great selection and are very expensive.
the antistaic strap is 6$
the mouse mat is 25$ but im not going to change it for many years so it is a good investment and the cable ties I think arnt neccesary so ill ditch them.
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2012 8:00:00 AM

how are you going to make the cables neat in your pc?? the person that said you dont need them...is a little off if you want to make your build as neat as it can bee and also to keep wires from going into the fans. if this is your first build toss in a cheap screw kit. unless the hard drive and ssd drive come with screws or the case does you need a few to lock the hard drive and ssd and cd-rom into the case unless it a tooless case. thinks like screw kit...tywraps..thermal paste tube and small pc repair kit are good things to have if you start building a pc. you can put them in a small pastic tub and have them when you need them. where your going to use a few is on the case header cables and the fan cables.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1762/4/
that what the inside of a case looks like when you use wraps right. that about a bag of 50 to do something that good.
m
l
June 24, 2012 8:48:37 AM

I just did a similar build this week so I will give you my two cents as a non expert with a similar budget .

Get the 212 plus, half the price (here in the US at least) and its almost exactly the same cooler.

I made the same choice here, almost the same price as the 2500k and an IVY, a handful of people suggested I save a few bucks and drop down, and they really aren't that different, but I don't think I will regret that 20.

This is the first card I looked at hard, and then the 670s hit and are such a steal, but I ended up going with a 570 dcii myself. The benchmarks just aren't quite there 560ti if your going to be trying to get the ultra at the wow resolution. For the money we are spending on our machines i find the 570 to be barely adequate both in the benches and now in my rig.

These cases review well, but I like the look of the 650D

If your main goal is gaming, here is a great spot to make a cut...hard choice for me too though.

These are expensive right now, so I went with a 500, its small, but I will pick up more space when prices go down.

I went with the same board, and I am happy with it. Word of warning, if you run into Dr debug codes A3 or A6, the most likely culprit seems to be one of your Video ports (it says its IDE...wtf)

Thats way more watts than you need, 700 should be plenty, even with a 500 series video card.

easy choice

TPB

on my budget I wouldn't spend money on that, I'm not trying to go pro, I just like to blow *** up and kill aliens, but thats me.

-ANTI-STATIC WRIST STRAP

You can make one of these out of old wire you may have laying around or can pick up for a buck or two.

-CABLE TIES
I agree with the first guy, unless you're a neat freak the 10-20 zip ties and cable ties you will get with your build will be fine to cable manage for good air flow and keeping things away from fan blades. Just take the time to think through your cables when you get putting your toys in your cabinet and you will be fine. . I respect people that treat it like an art....but man I got *** to blow up and a life, well, aliens to kill. Also check over and be gentle with the cable ties, many are metal on the inside, and can eat cables and short circuits.

hope that helped, and best
m
l
June 24, 2012 10:47:59 AM

nightshift23 said:
I just did a similar build this week so I will give you my two cents as a non expert with a similar budget .

Get the 212 plus, half the price (here in the US at least) and its almost exactly the same cooler.

I made the same choice here, almost the same price as the 2500k and an IVY, a handful of people suggested I save a few bucks and drop down, and they really aren't that different, but I don't think I will regret that 20.

This is the first card I looked at hard, and then the 670s hit and are such a steal, but I ended up going with a 570 dcii myself. The benchmarks just aren't quite there 560ti if your going to be trying to get the ultra at the wow resolution. For the money we are spending on our machines i find the 570 to be barely adequate both in the benches and now in my rig.

These cases review well, but I like the look of the 650D

If your main goal is gaming, here is a great spot to make a cut...hard choice for me too though.

These are expensive right now, so I went with a 500, its small, but I will pick up more space when prices go down.

I went with the same board, and I am happy with it. Word of warning, if you run into Dr debug codes A3 or A6, the most likely culprit seems to be one of your Video ports (it says its IDE...wtf)

Thats way more watts than you need, 700 should be plenty, even with a 500 series video card.

easy choice

TPB

on my budget I wouldn't spend money on that, I'm not trying to go pro, I just like to blow *** up and kill aliens, but thats me.

-ANTI-STATIC WRIST STRAP

You can make one of these out of old wire you may have laying around or can pick up for a buck or two.

-CABLE TIES
I agree with the first guy, unless you're a neat freak the 10-20 zip ties and cable ties you will get with your build will be fine to cable manage for good air flow and keeping things away from fan blades. Just take the time to think through your cables when you get putting your toys in your cabinet and you will be fine. . I respect people that treat it like an art....but man I got *** to blow up and a life, well, aliens to kill. Also check over and be gentle with the cable ties, many are metal on the inside, and can eat cables and short circuits.

hope that helped, and best

My main goal is gaming and I will also be editing but the reason I'm getting an SSD is because I'm getting the OEM version of windows and the OEM version cannot be updated without doing a clean install(erasing everything on the same drive). so Basically that is just futureproofing myself.
Now for the HDD let me explain it like this. 500GB is 75$ 1TB is 95$ and 2TB is 119$. So in my eyes that is a steal.
Now for the power supply I was going to get a Corsair Tx-750 for 141$ but then I saw the Antec HCG-900 for only 9$ more. has Quad-GPU support and four 12v+ Rails.
For the mouse mat, like I said for the other guy, this mat is going to last at least 4-10 years.
And the Anti-static wrist strap is 6$.

thanks for your input if you have any other reccomendations feel free to post :D 
m
l
June 24, 2012 5:27:56 PM

smorizio said:
how are you going to make the cables neat in your pc?? the person that said you dont need them...is a little off if you want to make your build as neat as it can bee and also to keep wires from going into the fans. if this is your first build toss in a cheap screw kit. unless the hard drive and ssd drive come with screws or the case does you need a few to lock the hard drive and ssd and cd-rom into the case unless it a tooless case. thinks like screw kit...tywraps..thermal paste tube and small pc repair kit are good things to have if you start building a pc. you can put them in a small pastic tub and have them when you need them. where your going to use a few is on the case header cables and the fan cables.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1762/4/
that what the inside of a case looks like when you use wraps right. that about a bag of 50 to do something that good.

Your power supply will include plenty of them - there's no need to buy extra, that's what I'm getting at.

My thinking on builds - especially for gaming rigs - is that the GPU is the single most important part of the build and you don't want to let accessories and little things get in the way of purchasing the best GPU you can get. Most aftermarket coolers include really good thermal compound - especially those from Cooler Master and Noctua so there's no need to buy extra there. PC Repair kits are also a waste of money as the only tool you really need to build a PC is a good philips head screw driver.
m
l
June 25, 2012 9:11:54 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Your power supply will include plenty of them - there's no need to buy extra, that's what I'm getting at.

My thinking on builds - especially for gaming rigs - is that the GPU is the single most important part of the build and you don't want to let accessories and little things get in the way of purchasing the best GPU you can get. Most aftermarket coolers include really good thermal compound - especially those from Cooler Master and Noctua so there's no need to buy extra there. PC Repair kits are also a waste of money as the only tool you really need to build a PC is a good philips head screw driver.

I see what you are getting at but in a year or two I will hopefully have a better job and I will upgrade.

for the gpu a GTX 670 or maybe a HD 7970
I will get another 8 gigs of ram
I will also most likely get a H100 unless I am extremely happy with the sound of the hyper 212
and last of all an i7 3770k. but this is most likely the only part I will not get
m
l
June 25, 2012 7:30:47 PM

tuganu said:
I see what you are getting at but in a year or two I will hopefully have a better job and I will upgrade.

for the gpu a GTX 670 or maybe a HD 7970
I will get another 8 gigs of ram
I will also most likely get a H100 unless I am extremely happy with the sound of the hyper 212
and last of all an i7 3770k. but this is most likely the only part I will not get

Do not purchase a closed liquid loop. If you're going to do liquid cooling, go with a real radiator or not at all. Closed loops are a huge moot point when strong air coolers like the D14 or Hyper 212 will give you the same results and are far safer.
m
l
July 10, 2012 5:27:01 PM

Best answer selected by tuganu.
m
l
!