Removing redundant items from Right click on Start button

Recently aquired a system running XP Sp2, so far so good, however one slight
niggle, there are some unwanted and some redundant (the programmes referred
to having been uninstalled) items left on the START button right click drop
down menu.

Any ideas on how to 'clean up the menu' and get rid of them?

regards
Sean3DD
12 answers Last reply
More about removing redundant items click start button

    Remove unwanted entries from the context menus...

    Customize the right click context menus
    http://www.subvers.com/technobabble/html/tweaks/context-menus.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:EE730BED-ACC9-4D00-94C7-27BF427483FE@microsoft.com,
    Sean 3DD <Sean3DD@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Recently aquired a system running XP Sp2, so far so good, however one
    > slight niggle, there are some unwanted and some redundant (the
    > programmes referred to having been uninstalled) items left on the
    > START button right click drop down menu.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to 'clean up the menu' and get rid of them?
    >
    > regards
    > Sean3DD

    Link leads to a site labeled 'this site is defaced'
    with a sub text about a web worm, didn't stay long enough to read anything
    else

    thoght you should know

    thanks anyway, any other ideas?

    cheers Sean 3DD

    Sean 3DD wrote:
    > Recently aquired a system running XP Sp2, so far so good, however one
    > slight niggle, there are some unwanted and some redundant (the
    > programmes referred to having been uninstalled) items left on the
    > START button right click drop down menu.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to 'clean up the menu' and get rid of them?

    Right-Click and seletc DELETE?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    left or right click launches program (or trys to) there is no secondary
    rightclick available.

    Regards Sean3DD

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Sean 3DD wrote:
    > > Recently aquired a system running XP Sp2, so far so good, however one
    > > slight niggle, there are some unwanted and some redundant (the
    > > programmes referred to having been uninstalled) items left on the
    > > START button right click drop down menu.
    > >
    > > Any ideas on how to 'clean up the menu' and get rid of them?
    >
    > Right-Click and seletc DELETE?
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    oops. Try this one...

    http://www2.technobabble.com.au/article182.html

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:68783DC1-96FC-4AD4-A722-CE1C18A9C9D6@microsoft.com,
    Sean 3DD <Sean3DD@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Link leads to a site labeled 'this site is defaced'
    > with a sub text about a web worm, didn't stay long enough to read
    > anything else
    >
    > thoght you should know
    >
    > thanks anyway, any other ideas?
    >
    > cheers Sean 3DD
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Remove unwanted entries from the context menus...
    >>
    >> Customize the right click context menus
    >> http://www.subvers.com/technobabble/html/tweaks/context-menus.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:EE730BED-ACC9-4D00-94C7-27BF427483FE@microsoft.com,
    >> Sean 3DD <Sean3DD@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Recently aquired a system running XP Sp2, so far so good, however
    >>> one slight niggle, there are some unwanted and some redundant (the
    >>> programmes referred to having been uninstalled) items left on the
    >>> START button right click drop down menu.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on how to 'clean up the menu' and get rid of them?
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>> Sean3DD

    A few more links on context menus...

    Add items to the New menu (aka ShellNew entries)
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/shellnewadd.htm

    Add or remove entries in the New objects list (ShellNew)
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/shellnew.htm

    Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace objects
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

    Customize Context Menus

    Customize the right click context menus
    http://www2.technobabble.com.au/article182.html

    Creating Context Menu Handlers
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_int/shell_int_extending/extensionhandlers/contextmenuhandlers.asp

    Customizing Right-Click Menu Options in Windows
    http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html

    Or here...
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm

    Scroll down to:
    Context Menu - Customizing Windows Explorer Context menu
    (right click menu in windows explorer)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:68783DC1-96FC-4AD4-A722-CE1C18A9C9D6@microsoft.com,
    Sean 3DD <Sean3DD@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Link leads to a site labeled 'this site is defaced'
    > with a sub text about a web worm, didn't stay long enough to read
    > anything else
    >
    > thoght you should know
    >
    > thanks anyway, any other ideas?
    >
    > cheers Sean 3DD
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Remove unwanted entries from the context menus...
    >>
    >> Customize the right click context menus
    >> http://www.subvers.com/technobabble/html/tweaks/context-menus.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:EE730BED-ACC9-4D00-94C7-27BF427483FE@microsoft.com,
    >> Sean 3DD <Sean3DD@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Recently aquired a system running XP Sp2, so far so good, however
    >>> one slight niggle, there are some unwanted and some redundant (the
    >>> programmes referred to having been uninstalled) items left on the
    >>> START button right click drop down menu.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on how to 'clean up the menu' and get rid of them?
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>> Sean3DD

    Now yer just showing off!, I'll slowly have a look...

    many thanks

    Sean3DD

    Sean 3DD wrote:
    > left or right click launches program (or trys to) there is no
    > secondary rightclick available.

    Then you have other things turned off hat are on by default - but that's
    another day..

    C:\Documents and Settings

    Look under your username folder and Start Menu - edit as wanted.
    Add/Remove/Move/Copy shortcuts as you want.
    Look under All Users folder and Start enu - same advice.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    I had all of those when I first posted. But I forgot to include them in the
    first post. 8-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:EB6489D2-A81F-4738-808F-494AD3353468@microsoft.com,
    Sean 3DD <Sean3DD@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Now yer just showing off!, I'll slowly have a look...
    >
    > many thanks
    >
    > Sean3DD
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> A few more links on context menus...
    >>
    >> Add items to the New menu (aka ShellNew entries)
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/shellnewadd.htm
    >>
    >> Add or remove entries in the New objects list (ShellNew)
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/shellnew.htm
    >>
    >> Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
    >> objects http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm
    >>
    >> Customize Context Menus
    >> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-026
    >>
    >> Customize the right click context menus
    >> http://www2.technobabble.com.au/article182.html
    >>
    >> Creating Context Menu Handlers

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_int/shell_int_extending/extensionhandlers/contextmenuhandlers.asp

    >> Customizing Right-Click Menu Options in Windows
    >> http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html
    >>
    >> Or here...
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm
    >>
    >> Scroll down to:
    >> Context Menu - Customizing Windows Explorer Context menu
    >> (right click menu in windows explorer)
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:68783DC1-96FC-4AD4-A722-CE1C18A9C9D6@microsoft.com,
    >> Sean 3DD <Sean3DD@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Link leads to a site labeled 'this site is defaced'
    >>> with a sub text about a web worm, didn't stay long enough to read
    >>> anything else
    >>>
    >>> thoght you should know
    >>>
    >>> thanks anyway, any other ideas?
    >>>
    >>> cheers Sean 3DD

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Many thanks Wes, I have managed to sort out the redundant stuff, but you know
    how it is, by reading the articles I have now 'found' many other 'problems'
    that need? sorting!

    thanks again

    Sean3DD

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > I had all of those when I first posted. But I forgot to include them in the
    > first post. 8-)
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:EB6489D2-A81F-4738-808F-494AD3353468@microsoft.com,
    > Sean 3DD <Sean3DD@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Now yer just showing off!, I'll slowly have a look...
    > >
    > > many thanks
    > >
    > > Sean3DD
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> A few more links on context menus...
    > >>
    > >> Add items to the New menu (aka ShellNew entries)
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/shellnewadd.htm
    > >>
    > >> Add or remove entries in the New objects list (ShellNew)
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/shellnew.htm
    > >>
    > >> Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
    > >> objects http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm
    > >>
    > >> Customize Context Menus
    > >> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-026
    > >>
    > >> Customize the right click context menus
    > >> http://www2.technobabble.com.au/article182.html
    > >>
    > >> Creating Context Menu Handlers
    > >>
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_int/shell_int_extending/extensionhandlers/contextmenuhandlers.asp
    > >>
    > >> Customizing Right-Click Menu Options in Windows
    > >> http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html
    > >>
    > >> Or here...
    > >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm
    > >>
    > >> Scroll down to:
    > >> Context Menu - Customizing Windows Explorer Context menu
    > >> (right click menu in windows explorer)
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:68783DC1-96FC-4AD4-A722-CE1C18A9C9D6@microsoft.com,
    > >> Sean 3DD <Sean3DD@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    You aren't seeing RIGHT CLICK

    http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message news:elbrWGrFFHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Sean 3DD wrote:
    >> Recently aquired a system running XP Sp2, so far so good, however
    >> one slight niggle, there are some unwanted and some redundant (the
    >> programmes referred to having been uninstalled) items left on the
    >> START button right click drop down menu.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on how to 'clean up the menu' and get rid of them?
    >
    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    >> Right-Click and seletc DELETE?
    >
    > Sean 3DD wrote:
    >> left or right click launches program (or trys to) there is no
    >> secondary rightclick available.
    >
    > Then you have other things turned off hat are on by default - but that's
    > another day..
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings
    >
    > Look under your username folder and Start Menu - edit as wanted.
    > Add/Remove/Move/Copy shortcuts as you want.
    > Look under All Users folder and Start enu - same advice.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Sean3DD,

    Opportunities abound for the tweaker. Keep having fun! :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User