Looking for a soundcard upgrade

ThatsMyNameDude

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
I have a 2.1 logitech speakers setup and im looking for a soundcard to replace my onboard sound as an investment. The price would be around 100-200. It is for gaming and music. any recommendations?

Xenturion

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I'd avoid any of the low-price Asus Xonar cards. After having just purchased the DS1, I was exceedingly disappointed. I've got a fairly discerning ear, and if anything, it sounded worse than my on-board sound. Now, I have an enthusiast class motherboard, so the Realtek codec used is no slouch, but it certainly isn't perfect either. In terms of general sound quality, if you're simply looking to improve your 2.1 setup, then I'd recommend one of Creatives older X-Fi generation of cards. They can be had for reasonable prices and all offer fairly stellar sound quality. For just under $200 you could land yourself one of Creatives new Core3D cards and a nice set of 5.1 speakers or a 5.1 headset. 5.1 makes a huge difference in games in my opinion and adds a whole new dimensionality to First Person Shooters specifically. I've got a few specific memories of it getting me points I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.