April 30, 2012 6:06:17 AM

First off, my computer is an off-the0shelf Gateway with the following:
AMD 780G Motherboard
AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core 2.20gHz
8Gig RAM DDR2
750MB memory
ATI Radeon HD 3200
400W PSU

The 3200 card was upgraded with an MSi MD1GD5 AMD Radeon HD 6670 GPU; 1GB GDDR5.

I use this computer mainly for video and photo editing in Photoshop and Lightroom and was having a problem with severe lag when I got heavy into masking and layering a photo. I was told a graphics card would fix the issue by the wonderful techs at Fry's (dont know how to express sarcasm through a keyboard). I bought this one, got home, installed it along with the supporting drivers and utilities, and all of a sudden my computer was taking longer to open programs and was hogging alot of memory. Nothing really changed in the editing software, however I notice my gaming graphics were definitely alot smoother. I went back to Frys and talk to another wonderful tech who said my PSU might not be strong enough and recommended a 650W, which I bought and installed today. To my surprise (kidding) no change at all.
Before the new video card, Lightroom would be running at about 5000K of memory (when lagging), however if I minimized it, other programs would work just fine, and the CPU would be running at about 50-70%. Its still the same, maybe a little bit slower, but I can hear my processor fan constantly running at full tilt, and im pegging 100% CPU usage.
Do I have compatibility issue or is something else going on?

More about : video card slowed

April 30, 2012 10:47:46 PM

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I did a search and found this to be a common problem but was unable to find any with a solution.
m
l
May 1, 2012 5:49:30 AM

Have you tried updating all of your drivers? Maybe your old drivers haven't been uninstalled. hope it works.
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2012 4:08:13 PM

Yup, everything is up to date
m
l
May 1, 2012 4:58:00 PM

uninstall display software completely, including cat control centre, download driver sweeper from phyxion.net and run the amd driver cleanup, then reinstall latest driver.
m
l
May 1, 2012 8:19:22 PM

mauller07 said:
uninstall display software completely, including cat control centre, download driver sweeper from phyxion.net and run the amd driver cleanup, then reinstall latest driver.

This did help a little, however its still not how it was before the graphics card install. Im still hitting 100% CPU usage, but its not hanging as much as it did..
m
l
May 8, 2012 11:53:14 PM

Reverted back to old card and PSU. Gonna wait it out and build a whole new unit..
m
l
November 28, 2012 8:49:33 PM

you know i have a funny story i have and ati radeon hd2600 and i had slow computer problems for a while i tryed everything that has to do with drivers ect. and nothing would change it i could still play online games like GW2 ect. with out any problems but it would get slow at times, i had extreemly slow internet speeds i was supposed to have a minimum speed of 6 mpbs and i could hardly hit 0.40 mpbs up until someday i turn on my computer and it starts beeping and wouldnt send anything to my screen so i open it up unplug the card and plug my monitor to the onboard vid card and bam the things boots like never before AND im hitting 6+ mpbs a second internet speed i could never figure out what was wrong so im waiting to get myself a new vid card and throw this one in the garbage
m
l
!