Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best cpu under 100$ for games like alan wake ,bf3 ,crysis2

Last response: in CPUs
October 29, 2012 12:57:45 PM

Going to assemble a new pc looking for a processor i hav alreay i3 2100 or pentium g series or should i go for a8

More about : cpu 100 games alan wake bf3 crysis2

a b à CPUs
October 29, 2012 12:59:28 PM

If you have a dedicated GPU (graphics card) a Phenom II 965BE is a decent buy in your budget range
m
l
October 29, 2012 12:59:59 PM

AMD phenoms look like a good buy however they're made on the 40nm process if im not mistaking
m
l
Related resources
October 29, 2012 1:01:54 PM

thanx any ideal which is the best motherboard for it...... im gonna set up crossfire or sli
m
l
October 29, 2012 1:16:45 PM

wr6133 said:
If you have a dedicated GPU (graphics card) a Phenom II 965BE is a decent buy in your budget range

whats the best gpu it can handle
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
October 29, 2012 7:19:27 PM

It can handle any GPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2012 7:37:46 PM

the 560 ti would be a good match
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
October 29, 2012 7:45:44 PM

Phenom II 965 for 99.99 from Newegg. They are 45 nanometer btw since that was mentioned. The rig in my signature handles BF3 multiplayer just fine @ 1080p.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2012 2:39:20 AM

amtxtreme said:
thanx any ideal which is the best motherboard for it...... im gonna set up crossfire or sli

Crossfire or sli with anything higher than a 6850 will bottleneck an amd cpu, just go with the single best gpu you can buy.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
October 30, 2012 3:25:47 AM

maxalge said:
Crossfire or sli with anything higher than a 6850 will bottleneck an amd cpu, just go with the single best gpu you can buy.

No, it wont... There are a lot of factors that go into it, in particular the motherboard, and its PCI-E lanes. My Sabertooth for example is a PCI-E x16 x 2 in Crosfire/Sli. There would be no issue there if I ran such a setup.

Having said that,.. Crossfire/Sli is not all its cracked up to be. A single, stronger video card is almost always the better solution, and more cost effective.
m
l
October 30, 2012 9:59:49 AM

get an i3 3220 its a little over $100.. its a better choice.. why would you think about sli and crossfire and at the same time look for a cheap cpu? For cfire/sli id suggest i5 3570k. Get a good cpu if you plan to have a dual gpu setup. What is your budget for your build so people can help you better? If your looking for a gaming cpu, intel i3 and i5 are most recommended. Dual gpu setup is never recommended unless you are buying high end videocards. Cfire/sli is problematic also consumes more power and more heat.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2012 12:53:35 PM

under $100 if you people read toms cpu recommendation article every month, the G870 is the recommended cpu while for exactly $100 is the G2120 cpu.
there you now decide between the two
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
October 30, 2012 4:49:02 PM

mohit9206 said:
under $100 if you people read toms cpu recommendation article every month, the G870 is the recommended cpu while for exactly $100 is the G2120 cpu.
there you now decide between the two

I read it occasionally. Theres a lot of factors it doesn't take into account. Its a really old, and tired argument. But at a glance, the problem with pentiums:

-No overclockability
-No HyperThreading, only 2 cores
-Often bought by people who plan to "upgrade it later", thats bad financial planning.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2012 7:42:53 PM

nekulturny said:
No, it wont... There are a lot of factors that go into it, in particular the motherboard, and its PCI-E lanes. My Sabertooth for example is a PCI-E x16 x 2 in Crosfire/Sli. There would be no issue there if I ran such a setup.

Having said that,.. Crossfire/Sli is not all its cracked up to be. A single, stronger video card is almost always the better solution, and more cost effective.

http://www.techspot.com/review/467-skyrim-performance/p...

Yes it will, crossfire 6850 is about equal to a gtx 580.

See how badly the amd cpu's choke a gtx 580?

Well on top of that you will also get a cpu hit on top of the bottleneck from just running in crossfire.

Overclocking helps a bit, but believe me, I have a 1055t at 3.8 ghz running crossfire 6850's on another box, stutterville on games if you drop below 70fps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2012 7:50:11 PM

maxalge said:

Overclocking helps a bit, but believe me, I have a 1055t at 3.8 ghz running crossfire 6850's on another box, stutterville on games if you drop below 70fps.

thats more to do with 6850s being bad cards to crossfire due to microstutters than the cpu.

A 1055 at 3.8ghz will run a 7970 or 680 no problem perfectly smooth except in games like WOW where cpu performance can never keep up due to the excessive amount of people.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
October 30, 2012 7:55:55 PM

maxalge said:

Yes it will, crossfire 6850 is about equal to a gtx 580.

See how badly the amd cpu's choke a gtx 580?

Well on top of that you will also get a cpu hit on top of the bottleneck from just running in crossfire.

That is one game, one in which that is known to put more burden on CPUs than others.
Thats the other point I didn't want to go into for the 1000th time. Skyrim is a console port, its known to put shadow rendering on the CPU to do, this is normally done by the GPU. There are plenty of other benches out there that show no issue whatsoever.

I have Skyrim too btw, it plays just fine with my Phenom II and single 7870 @ 1080p. Most computer monitors less than $400 USD cannot display more than 60FPS, so if you're stuttering, you've got other issues with your system. Probably the crossfire 6850s, as mentioned already, crossfire does have the potential to cause microstuttering, and motherboard with less PCI-E lanes are a contributing factor, what motherboard are you using with what chipset?

Addendum: A 7870 GHZ is roughly on par with a GTX 580, which likewise a Crossfire 6850 in theory shouldn't be too far behind those cards, so you've got something else at work, your CPU isn't the problem.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2012 10:25:35 PM

nekulturny said:
That is one game, one in which that is known to put more burden on CPUs than others.
Thats the other point I didn't want to go into for the 1000th time. Skyrim is a console port, its known to put shadow rendering on the CPU to do, this is normally done by the GPU. There are plenty of other benches out there that show no issue whatsoever.

I have Skyrim too btw, it plays just fine with my Phenom II and single 7870 @ 1080p. Most computer monitors less than $400 USD cannot display more than 60FPS, so if you're stuttering, you've got other issues with your system. Probably the crossfire 6850s, as mentioned already, crossfire does have the potential to cause microstuttering, and motherboard with less PCI-E lanes are a contributing factor, what motherboard are you using with what chipset?

Addendum: A 7870 GHZ is roughly on par with a GTX 580, which likewise a Crossfire 6850 in theory shouldn't be too far behind those cards, so you've got something else at work, your CPU isn't the problem.

Well I guess we got from it won't, to it will when the cpu is actually needed...

:lol: 
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
October 30, 2012 11:16:54 PM

maxalge said:
Well I guess we got from it won't, to it will when the cpu is actually needed...

:lol: 

Not at all. Bottleneck is just an overused term. Theres big bottlenecks and little bottlenecks, and then theres the fact that this discussion has already been had Ad nauseam.

If you have 2 systems, one gets 80FPS in a game, and the other slightly weaker CPU only gets 70... Yes, you could again fall into the trap of overusing the term "bottleneck", you wouldn't know the difference if you played the game on both systems.

But don't take my word for it. I know this article is about another issue entirely, but what the guy from HardOCP is saying is true all the same:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_2...
Quote:
With real-world gameplay performance advantages under 10% it doesn't change the actual gameplay experience. It in no way allows us to improve in-game quality settings nor does it give us any advantages over the PCIe 2.0 system. As we've stated previously in this evaluation, the technical performance advantages are "benchmarkable" but not relating to the gameplay experience.

In the scientific field, Skyrim would be known as an "outlier".
m
l
October 31, 2012 11:39:32 AM

Ithink i hav decided im gonna spend a little more for cpu and get phenom x6 1090t will it be good enough
and planning to get a 7970hd can phenom handle that i was planning to save as much as possible for th graphic card
but there seems it might bottleneck............
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 6:51:45 PM

amtxtreme said:
Ithink i hav decided im gonna spend a little more for cpu and get phenom x6 1090t will it be good enough
and planning to get a 7970hd can phenom handle that i was planning to save as much as possible for th graphic card
but there seems it might bottleneck............

for the games you listed that combo will be good and play no problem.
November 26, 2012 5:40:39 AM

Best answer selected by amtxtreme.
m
l
!