Totally Stumped!!! Laptop wont power up!

znviper6

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Laptop: Hp Dv7-3160us
AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor M620 (2.5 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache)
4GB DDR2 - 500GB (7200RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 Graphics (integrated)
Windows 7-64bit

Problem:
Laptop started freezing while playing games (minecraft) and ocassionally while browsing internet. Screen would freeze...no sound, nothing worked, ctrlaltdel did nothing, usb stopped working, etc. I would have to use power button to shut down and restart. Temps were ok...usually happened in the 75-80 degree range so not overheating. But cleaned heatsink and fans just to be safe.
After awhile of having this problem the computer would freeze and then I would go to restart it and it would power up for 2 seconds and then die. After letting it sit overnight it would power up and work for about 10-20 minutes and then freeze up again.
Now, computer will not boot up at all. Even after sitting for days. The fans kick on and lights light up but it then shuts down right away. Ive tried disconnecting every component I can (ram,hd,screen,cd drive, etc) I have also tried a different psu and tried running with/without battery. So I replaced the CPU...nothin changed. I then replaced the motherboard. After replacing the motherboard the computer booted up and seemed to be ok...20 minutes later it froze then died. Now it once again will not start up.

What else could it be?!?!?!

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

My first guess would be static, unless it was damaged when you were repairing it ofcourse.

Remove power, battery and all usb connections.

And hold the power button for about 30 seconds to clear out the static buildup in the laptop.

Also what do you mean by replaced the cpu and motherboard??

Let me know how it goes

znviper6

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I have tried clearing the static buldup several times.
I replaced the motherboard, meaning I took the entire laptop apart. Found a new motherboard and then swapped all the components over to it and put it back together. That did not fix the problem so I put in a new cpu as well. Still not working.

znviper6

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

80 Degrees is a normal temp for this computer/cpu under large strain. They run hot, always have. I bought the Motherboard from a place over seas...I have already contacted them regarding a return. The laptop is barely 2 years old and so im not gonna just buy a new one. And I dont understand the last part of your post...

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
For a laptop 80c isn't uncommon, because it's so compact its much more prone to heating up, which is what the developers keep in mind when creating components for laptops. I'm guessing your warranty is long voided considering you have basically stripped it down.

Sounds like its dead man. I wouldn't advise switching CPUs and motherboards on laptops anyway. Plus you don't know whether those extra parts even worked in the first place

znviper6

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Yes the warranty expired a year ago. The part I dont get it that after replacing the motherboard it booted up and worked for 20 minutes and then died again and once more wont boot up....and no matter what I do it still wont boot. I cant help but wonderif some strange thing happening with my battery that is shorting out the motherboards.