Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please can you help me build a budget pc rig ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 30, 2012 10:55:26 AM

hello everybody , i am planing to buy a pc with these specs
MB : ASUS M5A78L-M LE
CPU : FX 6100 (i will keep the stock cooler )
RAM : 4 GB (already have it)
Resolution : 1600x900 (already have it)
Games : hardcore playing on ultra settings , " bf3 , gta iv " gta v in the future :p  " , skyrim , Metro2033 ...etc

vga ==> confused between , GTX 560 <non-ti> and HD 6870

N.B. ==> i know that fx series performs perfectly with the 68xx series but gtx 560 has the physx and cuda " i don't know what cuda is :p  " , anyway .. also nvidia always updates its drivers very well to work well with games like batman and bf3

My Questions:
1-which vga card should i choose ?
2-will i be able to play ultra settings on heavy games ?
3-do i need to overclock the cpu with my resoltuion ? and can it be overclocked well with this mb and the stock cooler ?
4-this is the cheapest mb in the market , i just want to know what are the cons of getting the cheapest mb in the market ?
5-what's the cuda , and what's special in nvidia with its physx support ?? i can play arkham city with my 5450 with physx set to very high :D  , so i want to know what's special with nvidia in the physx ?

please answer all the questions , and Thank you for advance :) 

More about : build budget rig

April 30, 2012 11:15:43 AM

AFAIK, the FX-6100 is a horrible gaming processor, why not go for a 2nd gen Intel i5 instead? While more expensive, you might end up regretting that you saved a few $.

I don't play at that resolution myself, but I doubt those cards are going to future-proof you in any way. They will easily run BF3 at high, but if it were me, I'd go for something I could be sure would last longer, especially if you ever get a 1080p monitor. A 7850 is ~250$, but will definitely play future games with high image quality.
BF3 benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...

Usually I'd never OC on a stock cooler, but you can determine whether it's safe yourself, once you get a look at temps.

As long as you read some reviews that favour the motherboard you've chosen, I wouldn't worry about the price.

Never used nVidia cards, don't know what CUDA cores do :) 
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 11:36:43 AM

Don't get FX 6100.. It's terrible for gaming. Get either sandy bridge i3 or i5. Also, GTX 560 will not play BF3 on ultra, nor will it play metro 2033 on max settings either. What's your budget? You didn't specify it.
m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2012 12:20:49 PM

freddy1765 said:
AFAIK, the FX-6100 is a horrible gaming processor, why not go for a 2nd gen Intel i5 instead? While more expensive, you might end up regretting that you saved a few $.

I don't play at that resolution myself, but I doubt those cards are going to future-proof you in any way. They will easily run BF3 at high, but if it were me, I'd go for something I could be sure would last longer, especially if you ever get a 1080p monitor. A 7850 is ~250$, but will definitely play future games with high image quality.

Usually I'd never OC on a stock cooler, but you can determine whether it's safe yourself, once you get a look at temps.

As long as you read some reviews that favour the motherboard you've chosen, I wouldn't worry about the price.

man i told you that am on budget and i was planing to get the fx 4100 but i could hardly persuade my parents to help me with the fx 6100 , so i don't think that i can get the i5 :( 
and why is it horrible for gaming i just saw few fx 6100 gaming videos it was very good " man it's a hexa core cpu "
m
l
April 30, 2012 12:22:28 PM

Sunius said:
Don't get FX 6100.. It's terrible for gaming. Get either sandy bridge i3 or i5. Also, GTX 560 will not play BF3 on ultra, nor will it play metro 2033 on max settings either. What's your budget? You didn't specify it.

but i saw gameplay videos on youtube for this card and it was very good
about my budget it's not in dollars so i don't think that it well help saying my budget :) 
m
l
April 30, 2012 12:31:42 PM

Well, just don't expect to play new games on Ultra settings with the gear you listed, that's all. It's not the end of the world playing on medium anyway; meanwhile, you can save up and upgrade properly when you feel like it.
m
l

Best solution

April 30, 2012 12:46:28 PM

1. if you want physx and can't do intel quad core then nvidia is the only way to go. Both 560 and 6870 are capable cards of similar performance level

2.Most likely not, this will be GPU bound. You might want to get 4100 and a slightly better graphic card. 4100 has very similar performance level to 6100 thanks to higher clocks.

3.Definitely, it can't hurt to oc a bit.

4.Not much, asus is a good motherboard maker. LE means you won't get as many features such as additional usb port/ sata port/ pcies. So long as it you everything you need, you are get.

5.Compute Unified Device Architecture. Fancy way of saying a way to let Nvidia GPU to be used to do heavy number crunching instead of using CPU. not really needed for gaming.

Nvidia has special driver that let its graphic card do the calculation for physx instead of doing it on CPU. Depend which cpu you have it might not be important.

Whats your current system spec?
Also if you give an exact budget people can help you balance the system better.
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 6:03:48 PM

owbm3297 said:
man i told you that am on budget and i was planing to get the fx 4100 but i could hardly persuade my parents to help me with the fx 6100 , so i don't think that i can get the i5 :( 
and why is it horrible for gaming i just saw few fx 6100 gaming videos it was very good " man it's a hexa core cpu "

Get i3-2120 then. FX 6100 is a hexa core, so what? No games use more than 2 cores, with exception of BF3 using 4 cores. i3 has hyperthreading, so it's like quad core CPU. And FX series have terrible speeds for their cores.
m
l
May 1, 2012 2:18:57 PM

freddy1765 said:

well do u think if wait for more time and get the 7850 + i5 2500k will it be good for ultra heavy gaming ??
and which one is better 7850 or gtx 560 ti ?
and is i5 2500k a sandy bridge cpu ?
m
l
May 1, 2012 2:21:38 PM

zhihao50 said:
1. if you want physx and can't do intel quad core then nvidia is the only way to go. Both 560 and 6870 are capable cards of similar performance level

2.Most likely not, this will be GPU bound. You might want to get 4100 and a slightly better graphic card. 4100 has very similar performance level to 6100 thanks to higher clocks.

3.Definitely, it can't hurt to oc a bit.

4.Not much, asus is a good motherboard maker. LE means you won't get as many features such as additional usb port/ sata port/ pcies. So long as it you everything you need, you are get.

5.Compute Unified Device Architecture. Fancy way of saying a way to let Nvidia GPU to be used to do heavy number crunching instead of using CPU. not really needed for gaming.

Nvidia has special driver that let its graphic card do the calculation for physx instead of doing it on CPU. Depend which cpu you have it might not be important.

Whats your current system spec?
Also if you give an exact budget people can help you balance the system better.

Thanks alot :)  the best answer till now ^^
my current specs are hd 5450 - intel core 2 duo e7500 - 4 gb ram - 1600x900 and my budget is not in dollars so i think it won't help you :) 
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 2:27:25 PM

You don't need to get an i5. And hyperthreading isn't worth it when you can get a real quad core.

If you can find them, Phenom IIx4s are the best all around gaming cpus on a budget. If you can buy a 960t, it can be unlocked into a hexa core depending on your luck.

I would say stay away from the i3 on games in BF3 and metro2033 as even with hyperthreading, they don't offer as much performance as real quad cores.

The 6100 isn't a very good buy for gaming as very few games will use all 6 cores so a faster quad core is the better choice. I would highly recommend a phenom II x4 965 or 960t for cheaper than the 6100 and giving you better performance.
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 2:32:43 PM

fx 6100 is not good for gaming getting an phenom ii x4 980be or 975be will be an good choice at that price and even those cpus are way better then fx 6100 in gaming the fx chips are good for multi tasking not for gaming but the phenom chips are good in both gaming and multi tasking so why to waste money get an phenom chip at that price with higher performance such as this:-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

for gpu get an hd 6870 good value for price it can handle gaming with high settings on 1080p with some aa or none.:) 
m
l
May 1, 2012 2:34:40 PM

sunnk said:
yes i5 2500k + 7850 will play games on ultra with heavy games:) 

hd 7850 is better then gtx 560ti in some cases.:) 

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/...

yes i5 2500k is an sandy bridge cpu.:) 

i dont think so you are getting 7850 + i5 will you ?

well i think it's pretty hard but i will need to wait about 3 months to get them :S , and i think i will wait ...
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 2:46:13 PM

owbm3297 said:
well i think it's pretty hard but i will need to wait about 3 months to get them :S , and i think i will wait ...

ok waiting will give a nice setup so wait and get more.:) 
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 2:53:12 PM

Quote:
For the price of a 7850, you should also consider the EVGA GTX 480, which handily beats it in almost every game at stock for less money.

might have to spend $50 more on the power supply tho.
m
l
May 11, 2012 7:26:30 AM

Best answer selected by owbm3297.
m
l
!