I have a amd xp 2500 barton and was checking its temp with the mb utility and it reads 52c when idle, is that good?

If that is stock with no OCING, its higher than I would like mine running even though you are in the safe zone the cooler it runs the longer it will probably last you, I would get a better more efficient CPU Heatsink/Fan, I use the Vantec Aeroflow, Cools great and isn't too loud, I have one on every machine I own.

Also a high grade of thermal compound like Artic Silver 5 will make a noticable difference with your current cooling solution, and with thermal compound less is the best you want to use just enough for a thin even layer paper thin, just on the DIE itself, some thermal compounds can actually act as an insulator instead of a transmitter of the heat, if you use too much of it and gob it on.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I agree that 52 is a little hot and it's even worse because it's idle.
Maybe your PC is not in a ventilated area.
You could try installing a better heatsink and/or fan as 4ryan6 suggested.
Just remember to apply artic silver or a similar thermal compound to the new heatsink.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Before you go replacing things check the system for dust and blow it clean. That can have a huge effect on cooling and airflow.

My 2600+ is running at stock voltage @ 2.2ghz and it idles in the low 40's on the stock cooler. 52 is a bit high.

Mike.

endyen

Splendid
Hi Ladic. Most of the xp2500s I've seen , idle in the low 40s. A clean heatsink is important. If you have a vacuum with a blow option, take you computer outside (when it's dry out there) and blow the daylights out of it.
The chips that run hotter than normal, usually have a power supply that has only a single, back mounted fan. For as long as they have been making xps, Amd has stated that the psu must have a bottum fan. This setup usually lowers chip temps by 10c.
Since a psu is always reusable, I recommend that you splurge on a good one. Enermax makes some great units, as does fortron.