razgriz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Hello all,

Two weeks back i purchased a CM Storm trooper case, went through installation easy and was rather satisfied with it ( Everything working perfectly ).

A week ago i reopened the case to install 2 side 120mm fans which i connected straight to the motherboard because i had no extenders for the case build in
controller and those were 2 old fans i got from my old case just to use for a while and test temperatures.

The fan controller on the case got it's own power cord ( molex ) 4 Buttons get power from that specific wire and the main fans of the case ( 4 of them ) . Power button LED, Decrease / Increase / Turn fan light on/off

Yesterday i opened the case to check on a ''weird'' noise ( it was the psu being noisy, nothing else ).
While i was trying to figure out where the noise was coming from i disconnected all fans power and left only psu/gpu/cpu fans running.
Now the problem is that when i reconnected the controller power wire fans did not start working again, odd thing was that the Power LED was on but the other 3 buttons were off and uncontrollable so i assumed it got ''stuck'' or something ( or at least i wanted to believe that ) I tested the case fans by connecting them straight to the motherboard and all 4 were working. ( Except the light in the 2 front fans which is on a different wire for which only the controller got connectors matching them )

I am aware that connecting anything while power is running is a bad idea, but i find it extremely odd that
1: The Power LED is on
2: Controller fried so easily.

I will call for warranty tomorrow but i am rather curious if it's something else than '' you fried it ''

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Those controllers are very sensitive. You almost certainly damaged it when you plugged them in hot. Why not just get the extenders/adaptors and plug them right into your mbod? RMA might not work if they figure out what happened. Best of luck.