Power Plugs

G

I've just installed my first hard drive and everything went smoothly for a master/slave setup.

Now though, I want to move my old hdd to an older computer but I'm having a little trouble with the power connector. The plug is wedged in so tight, I'm afraid I'll rip a peice of the drive if I use too much umph. I've also noticed that the drive peice that the plug goes into is rocking up and down a bit when I wobble the connector...is this normal?

I guess my question is, is there a trick for getting these plugs out easily...a hidden switch, lever, magic words, anything? Every other component I've worked on is such a breeze compared to these things, it makes me think I'm doing something wrong here.

Thanks.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
They can indeed be difficult to remove. Wiggling the plug left and right has always worked for me.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Sounds normal to me. Sometimes they are tight and sometimes they are easy. You could try using a pair of pliers to get a firm grip on the connector.

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?

G

They do wedge in tight sometimes, You can get a flat bladed screwdriver and GENTLY, (Gently being the operative word)
prise each side of the plug out, do one side then the other, only move it a little bit at a time otherwise you may damage the pins, you will only have to do a little bit and then it will start to come out.

I used to be indecisive, now Im not so sure

Yeah, the screwdriver works. I get a friend to hold everything and I use two. One either side. This sometimes helps, but like the other guy said, be careful. It will come, but sometimes it takes a while.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

G

Thanks for all the advice guys. I should be able be able tto get it out no problem now.