FX-4170 vs FX-4300

Which would you choose? the FX-4170 has a higher stock clock and more L3 cache (8 MB vs 4 MB), but also a higher TDP. Why do you suppose Piledriver reduced the amount of L3 cache? Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about 4170 4300
  1. Looking at the benches, the 4300 is the way to go. Although you might wait a bit to see if the "new toy" prices come down. (the prices aren't bad now)
  2. id keep the 955. There isn't enough performance with the 4xxx models, They are still oly a dual module cpu (80% of a dual core).

checking the motherboard on your sig, is that the white socket board?

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=491#cpu
  3. FX-4170s (or any Bulldozer) have more L3 cache than they need, at least as I recall reading a big long article about the Bulldozer architecture, that one of it's flaws, not strengths. I wouldn't focus on that too much as a selling point. The PileDriver 4300 is a step up, and thats the direction I'd probably go.
  4. Augray37 said:
    Which would you choose? the FX-4170 has a higher stock clock and more L3 cache (8 MB vs 4 MB), but also a higher TDP. Why do you suppose Piledriver reduced the amount of L3 cache? Thanks!
  5. both are about the same performance- but 4300 is better- + you can OC it to the same 4.2 Ghz as the 4170 and it will outperform the 4170
  6. i would go for the fx 4300 becasue buldozer was crap and the fx 4170 was much of a upgrade form x4 955be
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cache Product