Sign in with
Your question

After market heatsinks

Last response: in CPUs
October 29, 2012 5:49:23 PM

so, i was wondering if i would need an after market heatsink for an i5 3570k and a gtx670. now i don't plan to overclock but will all the excess power generated by the other parts warm up the processor causing damage if not please tell me im a damn idiot and don't know hardly anything about building a pc which when christmas comes around ( thats when im getting it) i will probably need advice from you guys on the forums.

More about : market heatsinks

a c 148 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 5:58:12 PM

The stock heatsink will suffice for stock speeds. I see in your other threads, you are being suggested cases with good airflow so you have nothing to worry about.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2012 5:58:37 PM

The stock heatsinks will be fine. They would not include heatsinks with their processors that would damage their parts. Aftermarket heatsinks are for people that want to make their machines quiter or want to overclock their parts.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 5:59:51 PM

You should be absolutely fine with the stock cooler given you have good airflow which will exhaust all the hot air promptly. No need to call yourself an idiot, we all make mistakes and when we are new to certain concepts (your case, cooling) we do not fully understand it. Truth is when I was 12 I thought you could just plug in any video card in to your motherboard regardless of the slot type and power supply wattage. (Back in my time we had AGP and PCI-E). Now I am 16 and know if a video card will work in a build like the back of my hand :p  .
October 29, 2012 6:00:56 PM

but will overclocking give any significant boosts for playing games such as skyrim bf3 and me3? if not then i will have saved my self extra money!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 6:03:52 PM

For skyrim, absolutely yes! Skyrim is one of the games that are known to be more CPU demanding. It also depends on overclock size too for your significant boost, I would say you would notice a great difference with a 500-600 mhz increase. Some may find it could be lower or higher, everyone has different opinions.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2012 6:05:23 PM

You can overclock a little bit on stock heatsinks, but not much. Replacing the heatsinks will cost about $40+ for a cpu and about $80 for a gpu. If you want something faster, your money would go further by spending that money on a faster processor or graphics card.
October 29, 2012 6:05:54 PM

socialfox said:
For skyrim, absolutely yes! Skyrim is one of the games that are known to be more CPU demanding. It also depends on overclock size too for your significant boost, I would say you would notice a great difference with a 500-600 mhz increase. Some may find it could be lower or higher, everyone has different opinions.

hmm... any recommendations on cost effective heat sinks?
October 29, 2012 6:07:25 PM

flexxar said:
You can overclock a little bit on stock heatsinks, but not much. Replacing the heatsinks will cost about $40+ for a cpu and about $80 for a gpu. If you want something faster, your money would go further by spending that money on a faster processor or graphics card.

i flexed the my budget quite a bit for the graphics card i don't think i will be able to do that.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2012 6:08:06 PM

Coolermaster hyper tx 3 if you dont plan to OC its a good (and cheap) improvement on intels stock cooler (which is rubbish)
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2012 6:09:16 PM

And by the way, overclocking is not something that you should attempt without the proper knowledge unless you want to be buying new parts after you fry the ones you have. If you do overclock, be prepared to spend many many hours studying the methods and slowly tweaking your parts until you get the desired speeds. You have to ask yourself. What is your time worth?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 6:12:18 PM

If the Hyper 212 plus is out of your budget, then I would say go for the TX-3 you may be able to overclock a bit more than the stock intel cooler and it only costs around 15-23 dollars on most sites/stores.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 6:15:18 PM

Deathstalker1 said:
anything from canadian and american websites is out of the question as i live in the uk and i will be ordering on the 10th of december and i think international shipping is quite costly nodays but i saw this heatsink on amazon is it any good?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-Freezer-CPU-Cool...

The freezer 13 is much better than the intel stock cooler but the Hyper 212 is better, try giving the hyper 212 or TX-3 a look on amazon. I am pretty sure they sell it on there as well.

Take a look at this chart of CPU coolers organized that show the best on the top and the not so great on the bottom.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=255...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 6:17:54 PM

Deathstalker1 said:
That's quite a nice price.

So have you come to a consensus on what CPU cooler you will be buying?
October 29, 2012 6:19:07 PM

socialfox said:
The freezer 13 is much better than the intel stock cooler but the Hyper 212 is better, try giving the hyper 212 or TX-3 a look on amazon. I am pretty sure they sell it on there as well.

Take a look at this chart of CPU coolers organized that show the best on the top and the not so great on the bottom.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=255...

It's a shame there isn't a uk branch of new egg the have some pretty nice deals.
October 29, 2012 6:19:52 PM

socialfox said:
So have you come to a consensus on what CPU cooler you will be buying?

based on it's price im going to go with the 212 evo
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 6:20:19 PM

Indeed, I heard they have a newegg for just for china! Wouldn't hurt to ship out to the rest of Europe since most chinese websites are somehow able to offer free shipping worldwide!
October 29, 2012 6:28:24 PM

socialfox said:
Indeed, I heard they have a newegg for just for china! Wouldn't hurt to ship out to the rest of Europe since most chinese websites are somehow able to offer free shipping worldwide!

so here's the list of the parts im getting and i would like to know what type of fps you think i would most likely get in skyrim in 1920x1080.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX670 Graphics Card
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAIII 6Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM
OCZ OCZ600MXSP-UK ModXStream Pro 600W ATX Power Supply
Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-60G​ Agility 3 60GB SATA III 2.5 inch SSD
Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU
Antec Three Hundred Midi Case
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C​9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 6:31:09 PM

Depends where you are exactly, in a city 40-60 fps at least, outside in the open world 90-120 fps. And if you somehow are being chased by 40+ guards or maybe 5-10 dragons you really should not surprised with 5-10 fps.
October 29, 2012 6:33:40 PM

socialfox said:
Depends where you are exactly, in a city 40-60 fps at least, outside in the open world 90-120 fps. And if you somehow are being chased by 40+ guards or maybe 5-10 dragons you really should not surprised with 5-10 fps.

fair enough
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 6:37:06 PM

Well, realistically you can have only one dragon nearby. Unless you do summon a dragon (there are only two you can summon, one at a time with a cooldown of 1000 seconds or something. One is from the vanilla game and the other is from the DLC dawnguard). Also I would say you should not expect more than 20 guards if you commit a crime in a big city. I said those big numbers because you can achieve them via console commands only, basically cheating :p 
!