Which GTX 580 card offers the best bang-for-the-buck?

G

For my new gaming rig, I had originally picked up a Radeon HD 7970, but I ended up having problems with it, so I RMA'd it back to Newegg this morning. Instead of replacing it with another HD 7970, I've decided to pick up an Nvidia card (a matter of personal preference at this point), but after looking at the different cards available, I have no idea which one to pick up.

For my gaming build, I'm going for:

1) Best speed possible (of course)
2) Quality components
3) Noise

I likely won't be overclocking the card myself, although it would be nice if I could down the line if I change my mind. I'm looking to spend in the $450 range or less.

Any recommendations? Is there a consensus today on which card offers the best bang-for-the-buck? If possible, could you link your preference to Newegg directly?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm so confused right now!

Solution
You put the money in a 7970, so grab the obvious Nvidia equivalent, the GTX 680. Otherwise, you'll be losing performance. The 670 won't perform as well as the 7970. You've got a Z68 board you can run integrated graphics until the 680s get in stock.
My suggestion, wait for the GTX 670, the should be giving news this week on a official release date (Hearing May 3rd) and the GTX 670 will be on par with the GTX 580. You may want a GTX 580 superclocked or 3GB but it won't be as epic as a GTX 670

G

The GTX 670 does sound nice, but I'm without a computer a home now and anxious to get a card!

Here's my specs:

Antec P280 case
ASUS P8Z68-v Pro/Gen3
Corsair AX750
Intel i5-2500K (not currently overclocked, but I will in the future)
Corsair LP DDR3-1600 RAM
Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" @ 1920x1200 (16:10)

I'll be playing games like COD, L4D, Witcher 2, Diablo III, Skyrim, etc.. Basically, I want to be able to play current games (for the next couple of years) with High settings.

Also, what brand do you recommend? The EVGAs look nice, but I'm not sure which to get. If I do end up getting a GTX 580, should I get the 3GB model?

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
You put the money in a 7970, so grab the obvious Nvidia equivalent, the GTX 680. Otherwise, you'll be losing performance. The 670 won't perform as well as the 7970. You've got a Z68 board you can run integrated graphics until the 680s get in stock.

Solution
G

I think this is probably good advice. Do you have any recommendations for which GTX 680 card to pick up (what brand)?

G

Dude, i feel ya. trying to get a 680 wont happen soon. i personally think nvidia is sandbagging trying to sell off the old cards. i got a 580 for $369 on newegg but now those are gone. they have a 570 and 448 by evga both for $299. why did you return the 7970?

G

I was having color banding problems, which may have been a faulty card. I went ahead and did a return because I'm more familiar with Nvidia's line, and I think I'll end up liking it better.

Any ideas when the GTX 680 supply chain will start to ramp up? I can find them on Amazon, but they're a good $100 (and up) more expensive, and I don't want to pay that much.

Frustrating! I'll probably use my good 'ole Intel HD 3000 for a while until the GTX 680s are more available.

G

I pulled the trigger and picked up an EVGA GeForce GTX680 SC Signature card. Did I overpay? You bet'cha. But with this card, I have peace of mind knowing that I'll be set for the next couple of years.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.