Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need Help $1500 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 24, 2012 5:53:45 PM

It's my first time building a computer. This computer is for gaming and hopefully be capable of gaming into the future for the next 5years with little upgrades needed. I have no idea what to buy and what combination of parts work well and stuff like that hopefully the community will be able to help me out.

Approximate Purchase Date: Some time in July depends when I get feedback
Budget Range: $1400 (Less money spent is best) bought the case for $99
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Watching Movies, Edit simple videos and everyday PC use
Parts Not Required: Case (Corsair 500r), Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NCIX and Canada Computers (I will be going to the stores to pick-up)
Country: Canada
Parts Preferences: An Intel build
Overclocking: Most likely Yes
SLI or Crossfire: In the future maybe
Monitor Resolution: Unsure, I need to buy a monitor
Additional Comments: Just a general idea of how much I'd like to spend on each part. Of course you can change around as long as it goes within the budget
CPU $200-300
GPU $300-500
RAM $100
Motherboard $150-250
Hard Drive $100-150
SSD $100-200
Optical Drive $20-80
Power Supply $100


Thanks everyone for helping in advance

More about : 1500 gaming

June 24, 2012 7:25:05 PM

CPU-i5 2500k or ivy briddge version 3570k between 200-300 dollars

GPU- nvidia 670 380 dollars

RAM- kingston hyper x 8 gb 45 dollars

Moherboard- asus sabertooth z77

HDD- any 1 tb hdd

SSD-180 gb intel 220 after rebate

Optical drive asus

PSU- corsair 650 watt
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 24, 2012 7:28:56 PM

^ CPU: Good, but it is actually between $170 and $230 (Microcenter to Newegg).
GPU: good
Motherboard: overkill.
No need for a Sabertooth motherboard if you're not going to use all of its features, and most people won't.

HDD: good
SSD: Overpriced. Get a Crucial M4 for $110 or a Vertex 4 for $120.
PSU: Make sure it is the V2.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 24, 2012 8:17:58 PM

azeem40 said:
^ CPU: Good, but it is actually between $170 and $230 (Microcenter to Newegg).
GPU: good
Motherboard: overkill.
No need for a Sabertooth motherboard if you're not going to use all of its features, and most people won't.

HDD: good
SSD: Overpriced. Get a Crucial M4 for $110 or a Vertex 4 for $120.
PSU: Make sure it is the V2.


Do you have a suggested build you'd like to recommend to me? I'd like to consider other builds.

Thanks
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 24, 2012 8:30:07 PM

megamonkey said:
Do you have a suggested build you'd like to recommend to me? I'd like to consider other builds.

Thanks

Here's mine if you're interested:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz ($234.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ($179.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 CAS9 1.5V BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00 ($43.99 @ NCIX)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM ST1000DM003 ($87.79 @ DirectCanada)
Hard Drive: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB ($164.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB GV-N670OC-2GD ($419.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: XFX Pro 650W Core Edition ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($20 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($120 @ NCIX)
Total: $1351
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
I think just using NCIX/Canada Computers will push the price up by about $40 but you are still within budget.

The motherboard I have suggested has Firewire ports to match up to the front panel connectors of the 500R.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 24, 2012 8:48:42 PM

I would not give each component a budget. That will severely limit options.

Here is what I suggest:
i5-3570k $250
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_65&...

Doesn't need "a same overclock" to match SB. 4.2 GHz = 4.5 GHz IB.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Gen3 $190
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_72...

EVGA GTX 670 FTW $450
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_55...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1263529/evga-gtx-670-ftw-unb... is a review of the EVGA FTW.

Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 MHz DDR3 $57
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_55...

Crucial M4 128GB SSD $130
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1...

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten... is a review of that SSD.

Corsair TX750 V2 $120
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_44...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=... is a great review of that PSU.

Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB HDD $100

For storage, speed is a non-issue, so this will gives you a lot of space for a cheap price.

Leaves enough of a budget for a monitor.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 24, 2012 9:21:41 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ NCIX)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: Asus DVDE818A7T/BLK/B/GEN CD Reader, DVD Writer ($18.46 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($105.92 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Total: $1339.29
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 24, 2012 9:31:21 PM

azeem40 said:
I would not give each component a budget. That will severely limit options.

Here is what I suggest:
i5-3570k $250
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_65&...

Doesn't need "a same overclock" to match SB. 4.2 GHz = 4.5 GHz IB.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Gen3 $190
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_72...

EVGA GTX 670 FTW $450
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_55...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1263529/evga-gtx-670-ftw-unb... is a review of the EVGA FTW.

Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 MHz DDR3 $57
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_55...

Crucial M4 128GB SSD $130
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1...

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten... is a review of that SSD.

Corsair TX750 V2 $120
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_44...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=... is a great review of that PSU.

Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB HDD $100

For storage, speed is a non-issue, so this will gives you a lot of space for a cheap price.

Leaves enough of a budget for a monitor.

+1 ^ this is a good option and solid build ;) 
m
0
l
!