Sign in with
Your question

My GPU is overvolted...without using software

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 30, 2012 3:46:14 PM

i have a 7850, and in CCC it used to show a maximum of 1050/1450 for clock speeds. i found over on the UK forums that people are reporting much higher stable overclocks, so i downloaded asus gpu tweak software and pushed my card to a stable 1200/1450 @ 1.176v (1.075 is stock).

so then i downloaded the 12.4 drivers the other day and opened the CCC to find this:

unlocked clock capability in CCC, awesome! so then i uninstalled asus gpu tweak and ran some benchmarks only to find my card is still running at 1.176v. CCC doesn't adjust voltage, but asus gpu tweak is uninstalled....so then how is my card running at a higher voltage than stock, but with no software adjusting it to do so?
April 30, 2012 8:19:20 PM

no one?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 8:38:18 PM

I know when the Fermi cards came out "stock" could mean a wide variety of voltages based on how well the chips binned. You could buy 2 physically identical GTX 480s and have one at 0.987 volts and the other at 1.087 volts programmed in the bios. Could be the same type of issue with the new AMD cards where they had to raise the voltage on some chips to get them to be stable.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 8:54:17 PM

My guess is that the Asus software changed the cards BIOS so it was overvolted. That wouldn't change because of uninstalling the software. If you want to change the cards voltage back to stock, you would probably have to re-install the Asus software again.
m
l
April 30, 2012 9:10:43 PM

egilbe said:
My guess is that the Asus software changed the cards BIOS so it was overvolted. That wouldn't change because of uninstalling the software. If you want to change the cards voltage back to stock, you would probably have to re-install the Asus software again.

that's so weird! actually i'm fine with it overvolted, and i prefer to use CCC as it runs in the background anyway. no reason to have multiple softwares that do the same thing.

one weird thing though is that my GPU fan goes to 50% from the moment windows starts until CCC starts running, and i have no idea why. is that bad for the GPU and/or any way to fix it?

lastly, the power slider i have at 10% in CCC--should i switch that back to 0?
m
l
!