StorminJ

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am having a problem with my HD. It seems that there are conflicts with my HD and my mobo. When I go into the system to look for conflicts I get "? PCI Mass Storage Controller". I tried looking on the ASUS web site but couldin't find anything. I have heard when you have an old hard drive (maxtor 7GB) going to a new MoBo (Asus A7V) you can sometimes have this problem but I have no way of correcting this yet. I guess it might be on my hard drive even though I formatted it. Has anyone heard of this before?

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is your promise ATA-100 controller, update the driver with the one at ASUS website for better performance and stability.

Hope that helps!

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I doubt it's the IDE controller. Mass storage generally means it's a SCSI/RAID card.
But he probably doesn't have one, or he would have said so.

This problem occurs in W2k, and nobody seems to know why. If it isn't causing any problems in actually using it, then I wouldn't worry too much.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
do u mean the promise controller?
install the up to date promise drivers & you should be right.

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

StorminJ

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I do have problems occassionally, like freeze's and the like.

I am going to try to update the driver but am sceptical. I have updated before but maybe didn't get the promise driver.

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm certain it is your promise controller, it happened to me. I just went to Asus website, downloaded the promise driver, updated in Device manager and voilà! Maybe your lockups problem is not related to this but it surely can help.

Hope that helps!

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
has that board onboard raid? from the above replies it sounds like it, in which case that IS the mass storage controller, same thing on mine (abit kt7a raid), I just cant be bothered to install the drivers!!

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

FatBurger

Illustrious
Assuming you don't use the other two channels, you don't need to. I have the KT7a-RAID too.

I think you're right, it's onboard RAID.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

G

When i installed Win98 on my machine yesterday, i also had a few devices listed with a ? in front of them.
one of them was the PCI Mass Storage Controller and i got it fixed with installing the latest Highpoint drivers, but that is for my Abit KT7 Raid board.
So i could conclude that it is your RAID controller that needs (new) drivers.

327goat

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
It's definitely the Promise ATA-100 controler like Brainstorm says. I had the exact same problem. Also if you check your hard drive properties, it will most likely tell you that you're running in MS-DOS compatibility mode. Install the Promise controler properly and both problems should dissapear.

<font color=red> To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to steal ideas from many is research.</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS