Keeping fans at max speed

jarlsuki

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Hi

Im in the middle of configuring Fan Xpert 2 (part of AI suite II) and it got me curious.
If you don't care about your computer being noisy, can't you just keep all the fans at Max speed all the time?
Or does this wear out the fans?

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Yes you can, the bearings will wear out quicker then normal but they will still last long, just remember to lubricate the bearings every once in a while if you are going to run the fans at max speed all the time.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
yes,
The only other con potentially you will also get extra dust in the system (depends on your specific conditions.

If your fans are not serviceable (not all have access to the bearing without completely destroying the fan), I suggest having a couple spare fans ready to swap in.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
You can access the bearing under the front sticker in most fans, sme will have a plastic cover.

It won't destroy the fan unless you put something else other than oil in the bearings.

jarlsuki

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Im sorry for not answering sooner, but thanks for the replies :)
I think im going to keep them at lower speeds at low temps.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Well leaving the fans at full speed will keep your temps somewhat lower.

Your idea is good but if your fans aren't automatically adjusted by software then you could get higher temps if you get what i mean, what cooler are you using?

jarlsuki

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
CPU? Using Cooler Master 412S
Been trying different Fan Xpert 2 settings and i ended up with having all the fans at 70% aslong as the CPU is lower than 40c, 85% at 40-50 and 100% after that. Seems to keep the temps under control : )
When i start a demanding game i just swap to the Full-Speed profile, and back afterwords. Not sure if it's needed but, makes me feel safer.