lucifer_91

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Hello,
I assembled barebone of Dell Gx 270 socket 478.
The green light doesnt appear on the Cpu instead an orange light appears . On the glimpse of motherboard i see an orange light.More often it starts but sometimes orange light appears that means Cpu doesnt start.How could i fix the problem ??? Technical specifications are Processor 2.6 ghz and 512 Mb Ram and 10 Gb Hard disk.

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
Oh god. Lets try to straighten things out here. CPU's, first of all, do not have lights. Second, from the limited amount of information you have given, I assume your running a Socket 478 Pentium 4 Northwood CPU with 512MB DDR Ram and a 10GB HDD. I knew I had to say something as soon as I saw the "Socket 478" in the title... I am afraid you need a new computer. Your CPU only runs on the aging Netburst architecture, your ram is ludicrously low and likely a terrible speed, and your Hard drive could be backed up onto my pen drive. If your computer Is having issues with starting sometimes, it could be the motherboard struggling with cold booting. It could also be that your computer needs to be cleaned and dust bunnies could be causing problems. You could also have a dying system. With a 10GB HDD, im suprised you even have a Pentium 4, and not a Pentium 3. You do know that you can get a very capable CQ56 Laptop at BestBuy for $250 bucks that would absolutely destroy and annihilate what your using now.

lucifer_91

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

I am sorry let me rephrase it i see an amber light on motherboard its like orange light.Well dude the problem is everything here at my place is forged and not genuine.I bought this barebone PSU,Motherboard and casing including RAM 640 MB ( 512 MB and 128 MB) and processor 2.6 Ghz for Just dollars $26 . I suppose as i replaced the cord of power supply it started running normally.After holding the button for about 5 seconds it boots and starts normally.Do you recommend me to change the system ??
Which parts needs to be cleaned ??

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012

Ah. Well, lets see. Ill see if I can get you on your feet here with that system. I have a Socket 478 system myself, though its more or less for nostalgic purposes.

Before I can make recomendations, I'm gonna have to ask you a few questions regarding your hardware to get some bearings on what you need to do.

1. What motherboard do you have? For example, Asus P5Q SE
2. What PSU do you have? For example, Diablotek PSDA600
3. What graphics card (or onboard graphics chip) is your system equipped with? For example, and ATI Radeon 9250 or ATI Radeon Xpress 200
4. How much storage space do you have?
5. How much are you willing to spend?
6. What do you want to do with the computer? Example, Heavy gaming, internet surfing, word processing, film making, photo editing, all of the above, mixture, whatever.

I'll get back to you about your computer as soon as I get your response. I need to know these things to find you the right parts and find you things for as cheap as possible that are compatible with your system.

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
Also, an amber motherboard light generally means that the board has electricity, but is not on. Meaning, its plugged in but the system is off. Don't be alarmed by this; its just a status LED. You may possibly have a faulty on off switch making it a pain to start it up.

lucifer_91

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Sure i tell you
1. Optiplex GX 270 Model ON6016 Check o it is alphabet o or zero ok?
2. Intel 82865G Graphics controller card
3. Dell Nps 210AB A PSU
4. HD Memory potential for about 40 GB
5. 640 MB Memory
6. Manufacturer is Dell Corporation

I bought this system for about $ 26 Full n final

7. Well dude i am up for browsing and whatever excluding multimedia like film making or something like that

I am up for further information i hope i ve scribbled down appropriate information.