Thank you, and 2 followup questions

extremenovice

Honorable
May 29, 2012
First, I would like to say thank you to the community. I asked a lot of questions, and learned a lot from the community. I built a system for the first time, and while I did make some errors along the way, I did learn a lot, and in the end, I have a working system!

Here are my questions: 1) I installed an aftermarket cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. I applied the thermal paste using a plastic baggie, and am not sure if I did an adequate job. The cooler seemed to "wiggle," or slide around a bit while it was on the CPU -- until I tightened the fasteners a bit more. Does this mean I put on too much thermal paste? I am willing to open up the machine again.

Right now my CPU temp is 38 -- it goes up to 41C when I play WoW, for example.

2) I have a Corsair Carbide 400R. I've read about a "push / pull" fan configuration. My question is: what sides do the pushing and pulling? I have room for extra fans on the top and on the side. The case comes with 3 stock fans -- 2 in front, one in the rear. I also have the 212 Evo. I'm a bit lost as to how I can configure all the fans.

Thanks for your support!

Solution
all heat sinks are going to slide on the thermal paste...it like toothpaste or butter frosting. trick is you want a light coat over the whole cpu and you dont want it to oose out. with fans you want the front fan on the bottom to pull cold air in. hot air will rise so on the rear you want the fans on the top blowing air out.
all heat sinks are going to slide on the thermal paste...it like toothpaste or butter frosting. trick is you want a light coat over the whole cpu and you dont want it to oose out. with fans you want the front fan on the bottom to pull cold air in. hot air will rise so on the rear you want the fans on the top blowing air out.

Solution