Gtx 680, dvi or hdmi? Whats the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjeskiny

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Hi.

I have just ordered a zotac gtx 680.

My 120hz monitor supports hdmi and dvi.
And the 680 will support both.

Is there any difference between them? Is there an upside/downside of going hdmi?

Only reason for this, is that my girlfriend needs a dvi cable, and it seems that hdmi cables are cheaper than dvi cables.
So i would buy a hdmi cable for me, and my GF would take my old dvi.

Is that a bad idea, for saving some cash? Or doesnt it matter so i can do this to save the small amount that differs hdmi/dvi cables in price?

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

DVI = video only
HDMI = video and audio in one cable

Use HDMI if you plan on using speakers that are in your monitor or hooked up through your monitor. I have turtle beach's that are hooked up through my monitor and all I do is flip the HDMI cable from my PC to my Xbox and it transfers the video/audio feed in on step.

fizzle22

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
With HDMI you can use a CMYK color profile whereas DVI only allows for RGB. I do not think there is any noticeable difference between DVI and HDMI in terms of color quality, though if you use HDMI there is a big difference between CMYK and RGB. So make sure you change it in the nVidia control panel.

In the interest of saving money, just go with HDMI. It allows for more flexibility and HD sound like Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA assuming you have the proper receiver.

sk1939

Distinguished

It is also resolution limited to 1920*1080.

Fjeskiny

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Ok thank you guys, with this information i can say that i will go with dvi, since i dont want to have 60hz if i go with hdmi.

Thank you.

No real difference between DVI and HDMI, DVI Dual Link supports 120 Hz, HDMI 1.4 supports 120 Hz...

The only difference is that HDMI can deliver 7.1 Audio through one cable, DVI can not.

Fjeskiny

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Oh okey so they both support 120hz?

Well now im not sure again.

If i go from dvi with my current color settings on the monitor.
Will the colors be different if i use a HDMI 1.4?

And im not wrong when i say that a hdmi cable is cheaper than a dvi, right?
I saw a quite cheap hdmi cable but maybe that was a pre 1.4 that cant handle 120hz or something?

HDMI 1.3 max is 60 Hz, HDMI 1.4 supports 120 Hz which is almost a 3D monitor.

DVI single link suprts max resolution of 1080Pm DVI Dual Link supports max resolution of 2500 x 1600 and up to 120 Hz.

I don't know about the prices, you might find DVI cable cheaper than HDMI and vice versa.

Again, colors and everything is the same...just the Audio over HDMI is the difference.

You might find another difference is that HDMI is light to carry and twist ;p

Tell me, Do you have a 3D monitor?

You can't use CMYK for monitor display. It's just physically not possible.

Fjeskiny

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Yes i have a 3d monitor.

I have a LG W2363D , and unfortunately it seems that it only supports hdmi 1.3.

Kind of odd if you ask me, to build a 120hz monitor and have hdmi that doesnt even support it.

fizzle22

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

I misspoke. It is not CMYK but rather YCbCr444. Switching from one to the other when using HDMI does make a big difference. Thanks for pointing that out.

Any 3D monitor should support HDMI 1.4a unless specified but maybe I wasn't clear.The 1080P 3D limitation only applies to HDMI1.4a. On a 3D monitor, you wont have to deal with this restriction so long as you use a dual link DVI cable. with dual link DVI, you'll get full 120Hz 2D or 60hz 3D.But with HDMI 1.4a, you'll get 120Hz 2D & 24Hz 3D.

So if you wanna Play games @ 120Hz 2D you'll use DVI-D/HDMI, If you'll play games 3D you'll use DVI-D and you'll be gaming @ 1080P @ 60Hz or you can use HDMI and play games @1080P @ 24Hz (which is not recommended for games, it won't be smooth)

Status
Not open for further replies.