Sign in with
Your question

How well can the 6870 1GB handle dual or triple monitors?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 30, 2012 4:32:39 PM

How well can the 6870 1GB and 2gb handle dual or triple monitors?
Do you need 2GB for dual screen or would 1GB be enough?
Is this psu good enough to run the 1GB and 2GB version?
"OCZ StealthXstream II 500W Power Supply"
What would the resolution be for gaming on 2 screens or 3?
What is hyper memory (2GB) does this mean a card with 2GB of hyper memory can play like a 2GB card with 3 monitors or 2, what is the difference between this and dedicated memory?
Would a 1gb 6870 handle gaming at 1920x1080 on 2 screens, would a 2gb?

Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-US2HAM3 AM3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz Hexa Core Processor
4GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Are these compatible with the 1gb and 2 gb versions (above)?

Phew I think that's everything, you don't have to answer it all just let me know? Cheers in advance, looking to upgrade from a gts 450 to one 6870 to be gaming on dual or triple monitors, if the 6870 isn't enough to play dual screen or triple what graphics card is?
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 4:47:31 PM

It depends on your definition of "handle." If you mean run applications on them, sure, it will work just fine. But if you want to game, VRAM is the least of your worries. The 6870 is way way underpowered to run a dual or triple display setup at 1080p each. You're going to want at least a 7850 for dual displays or 7950 for triple displays. Your CPU and motherboard shouldn't matter for GPU compatibility. Your PSU should be fine, unless you want SLI or CrossFire.
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 4:49:18 PM

the 6870, 1gb or 2gb, isn't powerful enough for gaming on 3 1920x1080 screens unless you are using low settings or playing old games.

If you don't mind low settings, grab the 2gb one. Most games won't need 2GB at lower settings but some will at that resolution and it's annoying to run into vram limits.

Your mobo is compatible with any modern GPU, as is your psu. Only thing that could cause problems is if your case is too small.

Before recommending a GPU i need to know:
-what games?
-what settings do you require?
-budget constraints.

edit: just checked the psu, it only has one 6+2 pin connector. If you get a gpu that needs more you'll have to use an adapter (most gpus come with one or two)
Related resources
April 30, 2012 5:08:35 PM

Mostly Swtor and upcoming releases like diablo 3.
1920x1080 would be preferable at relatively high settings
Max is £200ish, but would like to keep it as low as possible
Could you recommend one for dual screen 1920x1080 and one triple? thanks

p.s had a look but didn't seem to get an adaptor and cant find box, what adaptor is it specifically and with which card do i need to purchase?
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 5:12:25 PM

You might be able to get by with a 7870 for a triple monitor configuration at 1080p with high settings, but you'll be pushing it. For a dual monitor configuration, you'll want something like the 7850. Both of these (and any GPU that meets the requirements you've specified) will totally blow your budget. You just can't good expect triple monitor performance out of mid range GPUs.
April 30, 2012 5:17:31 PM

aicom said:
You might be able to get by with a 7870 for a triple monitor configuration at 1080p with high settings, but you'll be pushing it. For a dual monitor configuration, you'll want something like the 7850. Both of these (and any GPU that meets the requirements you've specified) will totally blow your budget. You just can't good expect triple monitor performance out of mid range GPUs.

Ty, think I'll probably go with 7850 2gb (any recommendations?), would the 6870 support a 1080p movie on one screen and 1080p gaming on the other?

p.s sorry last question
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 5:23:11 PM

I like the Sapphire GPUs. Sure, the 6870 should be able to handle gaming while watching a movie although I'd keep your eye on VRAM usage which may start hurting your performance when you've got the game, Aero, and the decoder all working in 1GB of VRAM. I multitask heavily and my steady state VRAM usage with my usual programs open is around 500 MB (DWM allocates the rendering surfaces in VRAM) although some of that is offloaded to system RAM via HyperMemory (or whatever they call it these days) if VRAM becomes a concern. If you're having VRAM issues, try closing all your apps except your game and movie.
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 5:24:49 PM

what website do you prefer?

The adapters are molex to pcie. if you look at the box contents picture on this 6870 you can see two of them: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3 screens is 5760x1080. 2 screens is 3840x1080. 1 screen is 1920x1080.

For a single screen the 6870 is fine, it will run those games at decent settings.

Not sure why you would want to use two screens, it gives you a black line right in the middle.

For three screens, you will need a higher budget than £200 unless you don't mind medium-low settings.

Best bet for that price is a is a 7850. OC it as much as possible and expect medium-low graphics on D3.

Honestly, though, with that budget stick to one screen. Tri-monitor is for people with sli/cf setups costing £300 to £500.

edit:
movies take very little vram. Don't worry about it. For two screens, one playing D3 and one playing a 1080p movie, a 1GB 6870 would suffice.
Everything i've said so far was assuming you wanted to game eyefinity style on all the monitors you have. If you only plan on using one for gaming, a 1GB 6870 will be fine, regardless of how many screens. if you want to be safe, get the 2GB one.
April 30, 2012 5:39:25 PM

If you don't mind low settings, grab the 2gb one. Most games won't need 2GB at lower settings but some will at that resolution and it's annoying to run into vram limits.
!