Closed

Why does my i7 2600 quad core show 2 Core(s) 4 Logical Processor(s)

I have an i7 2600 quad core but in Windows 7 Pro 64bit it shows

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3392 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Shouldn't there be 4 physical cores? I don't understand this. I upgraded from an duo core computer. I know I bought a quad core processor because I have the invoice and saw the box but am confused what this 2 cores instead of 4 means.

Can someone help explain to me so I can understand how these CPU's operate and if something is wrong or if this is a normal working quad core Intel CPU?

Thank you very much.
12 answers Last reply
More about 2600 quad core show core logical processor
  1. Does it show 8 boxes in task manager?

Are all 4 cores enabled in the BIOS?
  2. I just checked BIOS and all 4 cores are active. In task manager it shows 4 boxes for cpu.
  3. Is hyperthreading enabled?
  4. As far as I know, How would I confirm that?
  5. Boot into BIOS and make sure it says Hyperthreading is enabled.
  6. It should be 4 cores 8 threads. Go into the BIOS and make sure all cores are active and hyperthreading is enabled.
  7. I know at some point I turned on Virtualization in BIOS because I use VMware at times for projects. Not sure if Virtualization would have any impact on this or not in Windows 7.
  8. Go into the BIOS and check. You could also reset the BIOS by moving the jumper cap (check your motherboard manual) or pull out the lithium battery out for a few seconds then re-inset it
  9. amuffin said:
    Boot into BIOS and make sure it says Hyperthreading is enabled.

I booted in to BIOS and found the sub menu that had the CPU settings. Everything was set to AUTO. I set HT to Enabled and then manually set active cores from auto to 4.

In Task Manager it shows 4 boxes under the CPU tab and the description is still

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3392 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

In the Device Manager under CPU it shows 8 processors, I did not check the device manager before changing bios settings from AUTO to enabled for HT and 4 for active CPU's.

I also turned off virtualization, I don't use VMware that much. There are many other settings I have NO CLUE what they do so I left them all to AUTO.

I guess since Device Manager shows 8 that somewhere in Windows it recognizes this is a quad core even though it doesn't tell me that anywhere I can see. So then, am I set now that I changed those settings or I need to do something else for Windows 7?
  10. Ask a daft question, but have you tried doing a clean install of the OS?
  11. richy4248 said:
    Ask a daft question, but have you tried doing a clean install of the OS?

Why would I need to do this? Everything is actually working fine on the computer, I just noticed today it not showing quad core in windows but everything is working fine otherwise.

I use CCleaner every few days to keep the clutter out of the puter, I am NOT using an SSD so the puter is slower than a higher end machine but for my purposes it works great.

Only thing that really slows it down is Avast but it is less intrusive performance wise than a couple of the AV suites I used to use.
    Without any AV this thing is as fast as any NON SSD system can be but then I can't get on the internet due to the viruses and malware.
  12. I discovered what the problem was. I had set number of processors to 4 in msconfig -> boot -> advanced options

Once I unchecked this task manager is now showing 8 boxes and the description in Windows 7 is now saying 4 cpu's and 8 logical cpu's.

Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks everyone that offered help and suggestions, was much appreciated.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Quad Core Intel i7 Processors