Sign in with
Your question

Why does my i7 2600 quad core show 2 Core(s) 4 Logical Processor(s)

Last response: in CPUs
October 29, 2012 10:58:21 PM

I have an i7 2600 quad core but in Windows 7 Pro 64bit it shows

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3392 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Shouldn't there be 4 physical cores? I don't understand this. I upgraded from an duo core computer. I know I bought a quad core processor because I have the invoice and saw the box but am confused what this 2 cores instead of 4 means.

Can someone help explain to me so I can understand how these CPU's operate and if something is wrong or if this is a normal working quad core Intel CPU?

Thank you very much.
a c 185 à CPUs
October 29, 2012 11:03:40 PM

Does it show 8 boxes in task manager?

Are all 4 cores enabled in the BIOS?
m
l
October 29, 2012 11:17:24 PM

I just checked BIOS and all 4 cores are active. In task manager it shows 4 boxes for cpu.
m
l
Related resources
a c 185 à CPUs
October 29, 2012 11:22:18 PM

Is hyperthreading enabled?

m
l
October 29, 2012 11:25:09 PM

As far as I know, How would I confirm that?
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
October 29, 2012 11:28:43 PM

Boot into BIOS and make sure it says Hyperthreading is enabled.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
October 29, 2012 11:29:11 PM

It should be 4 cores 8 threads. Go into the BIOS and make sure all cores are active and hyperthreading is enabled.
m
l
October 29, 2012 11:31:58 PM

I know at some point I turned on Virtualization in BIOS because I use VMware at times for projects. Not sure if Virtualization would have any impact on this or not in Windows 7.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
October 29, 2012 11:39:04 PM

Go into the BIOS and check. You could also reset the BIOS by moving the jumper cap (check your motherboard manual) or pull out the lithium battery out for a few seconds then re-inset it
m
l
October 29, 2012 11:53:13 PM

amuffin said:
Boot into BIOS and make sure it says Hyperthreading is enabled.

I booted in to BIOS and found the sub menu that had the CPU settings. Everything was set to AUTO. I set HT to Enabled and then manually set active cores from auto to 4.

In Task Manager it shows 4 boxes under the CPU tab and the description is still

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3392 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

In the Device Manager under CPU it shows 8 processors, I did not check the device manager before changing bios settings from AUTO to enabled for HT and 4 for active CPU's.

I also turned off virtualization, I don't use VMware that much. There are many other settings I have NO CLUE what they do so I left them all to AUTO.

I guess since Device Manager shows 8 that somewhere in Windows it recognizes this is a quad core even though it doesn't tell me that anywhere I can see. So then, am I set now that I changed those settings or I need to do something else for Windows 7?
m
l
October 29, 2012 11:55:29 PM

Ask a daft question, but have you tried doing a clean install of the OS?
m
l
October 30, 2012 12:20:17 AM

richy4248 said:
Ask a daft question, but have you tried doing a clean install of the OS?

Why would I need to do this? Everything is actually working fine on the computer, I just noticed today it not showing quad core in windows but everything is working fine otherwise.

I use CCleaner every few days to keep the clutter out of the puter, I am NOT using an SSD so the puter is slower than a higher end machine but for my purposes it works great.

Only thing that really slows it down is Avast but it is less intrusive performance wise than a couple of the AV suites I used to use.
Without any AV this thing is as fast as any NON SSD system can be but then I can't get on the internet due to the viruses and malware.

m
l
October 30, 2012 12:49:14 AM

I discovered what the problem was. I had set number of processors to 4 in msconfig -> boot -> advanced options

Once I unchecked this task manager is now showing 8 boxes and the description in Windows 7 is now saying 4 cpu's and 8 logical cpu's.

Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks everyone that offered help and suggestions, was much appreciated.
m
l
February 3, 2013 2:40:53 AM

actually thanx for this discussion-- i just got my i7 config setup & was wondering why i have 8 boxes showing in Task Manager--i knew i only had a quad, but i see from ur comment that the graphic/boxes show as "8 logical cpu's"...so i guess that's due to the hyperthreading, etc.
m
l
November 18, 2013 8:58:09 AM

I cant get it!!
Checked BIOS - all 4 processors showing
Task Manager showing 4 as well.
But the performance information still shows 2 cores.
Did the msconfig-boot-advanced setting dance. Checked the box and selected 4 processors----restarted - no joy. Unchecked it again and restarted - still showing 2 cores in performance info... Repeated the process and still no luck...
I have quad core i5 3470...
m
l
!